New at this, new project, new problems

theqmartian

XS400 Mew Nember
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I'm from Denver, CO. Been lurking the forum for a while and I figured I should post.

I just picked up an '83 xs400R Seca (RK?):

Needs carbs reassembled, battery box, and gas tank.
For the most part, the bike in good shape.
Came for $300 bucks with a title. Couldn't pass up a challenge.

I'm pretty new to motorcycles. Worked on bicycles for the past 5 years. I get it, they're different.

I want to thank everyone on here for the very useful information and links about this bike. I'm working my way through the xs650 "new to a bike" checklist.

I have a couple questions that I've been trying to use the search function on both google and this forum, with no luck:

1. Does the Seca model have the ability to install a kickstart? If not, would anyone like to purchase a kick start assembly and lever?

2. Besides the 6spds and the YICS how are the Seca engines different from the normal XS400 engines?

3. Anything else I should know about compatibility with the Seca engine as I read through threads on this site?

4. Are there other Seca owners out there or is this bike the read headed step child of xs400s?

the seca is a dohc engine with the engine being part of the frame (stressed member) the only thing it shares with the sohc is the name "Yamaha"

can't retrofit a kick starter on there I'm afraid

the seca is a dohc engine with the engine being part of the frame (stressed member) the only thing it shares with the sohc is the name "Yamaha"

can't retrofit a kick starter on there I'm afraid

translation: this forum is probably not at all applicable to me?

There are other DOHC XS400 owners here, just not as many as SOHC. We need more DOHC content, so please stay and post about your experiences.

Need a tank. Wondering the compatibility of other "seca" model tanks from large displacement bikes, ie Seca 750. Will this tank fit on my bike? What are my other options for tanks on the xs 400 Seca? It sounds like they're pretty tough to score.

Back