New Bar end mirrors and small turn signals

HoughMade

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The nearly stock '79 XS400 (has lower bars) has new bar end mirrors and front turn signals (rears to follow).

I wanted the bar end mirrors for 2 reasons- 1) the stock ones are too big, too plastic and keep the bike from looking like an old BSA; 2) with stock mirrors, I see a lot of my own upper arms no matter how I adjust them.

I wanted the smaller turn signals...because the stock lollipops are too big and keep the bike from looking like an old BSA. Certainly, I need to have a better background, but here are a before and a couple of afters:

user3153pic378130179031.jpg

full

full

I like the new additions. Your bike looks very clean. I found that bar-end mirrors also resist vibration a lot better.

I got both fron eBay. The signals are a little cheap, but they look good and as long as they work...

...and yes an old BSA is on the list....a Gold Star.

[edit]

To expand, the trun signals were 4 for .01 in ebay and 12 bucks for shipping- 12 bucks for 4 signals seemed ok. they are chromed plastic and feel cheap, but if you build up the inside with some epoxy, they feel more substantial and robust. I like the way they look. They maintain the vintage look of the bike and do not look like aftermarket pieces. rather than being something you notice, they just replace turn signals that are too huge and are certainly noticeable with something that is sleek and classic looking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-Univers...ycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_3895wt_802

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-VU...ycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_2281wt_897

Last edited:
Hey Houghmade ...what about bobber style mirrors that hang down underneath? I'm thinking about that with some lower bars.Hey check out my photo album......looks vaguely familiar dosnt it?

Uh oh....Houghmade is lurking close to the Cafe cliff...just peering over right now, sampling mirrors and small turn signals, next will be clubman bars, and a tail section...then "gee, rear clips would compliment the riding position with the clubmans...and those knee pockets in the tank seem to be a good idea too" Another original XS bites the dust. Have fun Houghmade!!!

What keeps me just this side of the cliff is 6'3", 230# of "can't get comfortable with clubmans and rearsets." I've just about got it the way I like it.

Nice. I've been thinking about replaceing the lolipops with something. A lil more streamlined but feared a lower visibility. I find I spend as much time on country roads as I do in downtown chicago.

Back