new guy and 1978 xs

lude

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i just bought this bike, decided to sign up to the forums, its a 78 xs400 8,000 original miles, all original besides the paint i think isn't stock, and bars i believe. they are awful i know, not sure what direction i'm gonna go, i was planning to make a tracker but not sure i have the balls to cut up a clean bike, so i may just paint it, change the bars do a few tweaks and call it good... ideas? let me know,

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Nice bike - very clean and original. My preference would be to leave it stock. Yamaha offered two typed of bars - black painted and low or chromed and a little higher. Sport and Touring I call them. Yours may be original Touring. Like the front/rear disc brake setup. Only found on '77-'79, I believe.

wow that is really clean. Your going to get a thousand different opinions on what direction to go. Personally I don't like stock yours is in really nice shape with low miles.

Mabey wait to find a beat up bike to start cutting.

Shaun

Start with new bars and mirrors; it isn't permanent; it's cheap; it's easy; it can be reversed without much trouble; it changes the look a lot. If you don't have a clear vision you can start there and mull it over. Who knows, you might be happy with something as easy as that. Euro or superbike bars will give it a slight tracker feel.

Oh, and Yamahas have a left hand thread on one of the mirrors. I wish I would have known that before I cut one of mine off :)

Here's the thing- I agree with not cutting it up, but with just a few tweaks, you can change the look and feel and still have it look "vintage". This was my goal. I put on "European" bars, smaller turn indicators and bar -end mirrors. Other than that, it's stock, but cleaner than one of those "buck-horn bar" pseudo cruisers. Just make it your own. That's what I did.

pictureas.jpg

picturenm.jpg

well first, is to get it running, when i got it, the starter didnt turn over, it didnt get any spark and the fuse box was 7 kinds of messed up. so i wired in a new fuse box, and now every thing seems to be working ish, when i go to start it, it will sometimes catch and put for a few seconds, then stall, when i kick it over, sometimes it will kick then a low pitch squeal will come from the motor, and it did it a few times from use of the starter too, once even stalling when the squeal happened, it doesnt sound healthy, very confused,

anyone know if the boxier style tank would fit with my stock seat? im doubting it,

I have to imagine it will. I have a '78 and it comes with the boxy tank. The stock seat looked close to what you have, if not the same.

I like the boxy tank better myself, but I probably wouldn't ditch a tank in such good condition. People generally want a fair amount for a tank with no dents.

Back