New Headlight

dburrows6735

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have another question for you guys and gals.

I have an 81 special and my head light sucks. I want to swap it out with a halogen. Anyone have any experience with this?

I don’t think the light is sealed it’s just a bulb that I could replace, but I would assume that I would need a new harness.

Any ideas

David

Did you want to retrofit a new type of bulb? Do a quick google search for "hid retrofit." This is common for cars. I don't think you need a new harness, but you might need to modify the new connectors on the lamp side. My '78 simply has 3 wires that plug in; that's it.

better check on the "I don’t think the light is sealed it’s just a bulb that I could replace"
My 82 special had a sealed beam. I fitted a 7" H4 assembly into the stock bucket, but some cutting and grinding was required:wink2:

better check on the "I don’t think the light is sealed it’s just a bulb that I could replace"
My 82 special had a sealed beam. I fitted a 7" H4 assembly into the stock bucket, but some cutting and grinding was required:wink2:

Yep, I'm pretty sure the 81 is a sealed beam.

There was a guy who pulled out the bulb and replaced it. He had to pry up the tabs that held the bulb in, break the old bulb (cause it was too big to fit through the opening), trim down the circumference on the round metal surface of the new H4 bulb, put it in the housing and press the tabs back to hold it in.

On my '80 and my son's '81, we bought a replacement reflector that fit perfectly using the stock trim ring and bezel. Only had to notch one tab on the reflector a little to get the bars to be vertical as you look at the headlight. Original was a sealed beam unit - still available but not bright and pricey. To go along with this, install a pair of 1157 LED stop/tail bulbs. These are very low amp draw and balance out the increased amp draw of your new 55/60 watt headlight bulb. When you install LED stop/tail bulbs, your headlight will no longer dim when you apply brakes.

We used the reflector unit in the link below. I installed a Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb and the night lighting is great.

http://store.candlepower.com/ca631quheleu.html

On my '80 and my son's '81, we bought a replacement reflector that fit perfectly using the stock trim ring and bezel. Only had to notch one tab on the reflector a little to get the bars to be vertical as you look at the headlight. Original was a sealed beam unit - still available but not bright and pricey. To go along with this, install a pair of 1157 LED stop/tail bulbs. These are very low amp draw and balance out the increased amp draw of your new 55/60 watt headlight bulb. When you install LED stop/tail bulbs, your headlight will no longer dim when you apply brakes.

We used the reflector unit in the link below. I installed a Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb and the night lighting is great.

http://store.candlepower.com/ca631quheleu.html

I also bought a candlepower reflector and bulb, one of the best investments

Back