New Here!

maniac1886

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Well, here i am. I just picked up an 81 XS400h. Def needs some TLC. Previous owner "started" a bunch of projects and never fininshed them. So now it is my job to get this bike back in action. We got it home, put a battery in it from another bike in the garage to get it running. the bike has air pods (2 different sizes.. :banghead:) so we put matching ones on it, gave it some go go juice (carb cleaner) and off she went. It seems like the clutch it either slipping or not fully disengaging, there is no pull, its like rolling down a hill. If i give it gas, it just revvs up but very very slowly increases speed. I'm hoping the PO just didnt adjust the clutch correctly. The idle adjustment was wayyy high. We addressed those issues, (still need to adjust the clutch) and was bombing up and down the road, until the battery died. I see that the voltage regulators on this bike are finikity through looking through this forum. As it stands right now, I have the ground on the Reg jumped to the ground on the battery until i can get up to o'reily's tonight and get the r-296 regulator. So theres a run down of what I've done, all i have left to do is an oil change, spark plugs, carb clean, new air pods, and new carb boots and she should be on her way to tip-top... mechaincally at least. My question is, other than the charging system seeming to be kinda crappy, is there anything else i need to keep an eye out for? Common problems or common mods/upgrades?

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Im a member at the KatRiders forum as my bike is a 97 katana 600. This is actually my roomates bike. His first bike to be more specific so Im kinda takin him under the wing, getting it going and showing him how they work. Over at Katriders, we LOVE pictures so here she is... she's yet to be named but I told him to wait till he gets 40-50 miles in saddle before he names her.

2014-06-08_15-12-17_903_zps94c73066.jpg

Welcome to you and your friend.
I started off with a fully maintained and functioning bike so I don't have a lot of first hand advice, however, if you start with this thread and don't make maintenance for yourslef (like trying to start it without fully cleaning the tank, and first installing a $3 in-line fuel filter) you should be good.
Also, the manual for his bike is at the top of the Garage page and can be downloaded and saved - more important, it can be read and followed, lol.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the links and the heads up! We have started a punch list of things to be done. Carbs are on that list but the carb boots are deeestroyed. They have glue around them from the PO. If i pull the carbs, the boots will probably disintegrate. We are going to order some carb boots, when we do im going to pull the carbs and give them the ol' clean out. Do these carbs have paper float bowl gaskets? I kind of assume they do. I know that when the carbs get pulled, there will be some parts in them that need to be replaced, im just hoping its not too bad in there. lol

There are holes punched through the baffles, and the airbox has been eliminated so while I have the carbs apart, I will be looking into re-jetting them. I have jets left over from a Factory Pro Stage 1 and Dynojet Stage 1 and Stage 3 so hopefully somewhere in my little pile of jets we can get this bad devil to stop popping so much. lol

Hmm... I will definitely check that out. The bike runs as of now but we need to drop about $150 into it before im ready to tackle the carbs. I'm hoping they will hold out until then. I'll definitely be picking up a fuel filter tonight to help keep them going. I dont want to pull the carbs until he has recooped a little from the initial cost to get it running because i know as soon as i open those suckers i'm going to be looking at up to $100 in cost to get them to spec. Between float bowl gaskets, possibly new diaphragms, and if theres any rubber orings. These are things that will be replaced. I am not familiar with these specific carbs, but i am very familiar with motorcycle carbs in general having cleaned and rebuilt carbs for both early 80's cruisers (hondas) to mid 90's vtwins (suzuki) as well as mid 90's sportbike carbs (suzuki and honda). Never a yammi though so it ought to be interesting. I appreciate the links. Good information here. Keep it coming! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum! Check out MikesXs in the ad at the top of the page. They have decent prices until it comes to shipping. If you can hold out to get the free ship at $150.00 order it helps.

Thanks for all the great links guys! Great information here! I was a little worried about joining this forum as I have seen other forums Ex: cbrforum that are just a waste of time. I feel like there is a lot of great info here and I'm lovin it! :bike:

Last edited:
Ok guys, just to keep you updated. I'm going to go get a new battery tonight, and probably the stuff for an oil change as well. Once that stuff is done, on to more testing!!

Back