New Master cylinder that will fit straight bars?? xs400 1978

butterbeats

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Quick question - I tried to put straight bars on my 1978 Xs400 yesterday and the master cylinder would not fit. The brake fluid cable takes up too much space. The existing fluid holder is to large and bulky. Is there an easy solution??

Change the fluid pipes ??? What master cylinder is small and fully functional. I would ideally like to keep all functionalities where they are rather than moving starter switch etc.

What is best cafe style set up for handlebars on xs400??

Any advice??

I think the point of cafe racers is the fact you can customize them to your taste. There is no 'best style set up' just your preference. Take a pic of your handle bars, i'm not quite understanding your problem. Are your bars too short horizontally to accommodate the MC?

Go on ebay and search for a 7/8 master cylinder that you like. Check the listing to see if they list the bore size and compare that to what size you need. There is a website that has a chart and you can look it up or measure your current one. I don't know what size is needed for the XS as I've never needed one.

This is one I got for my other bike though, it's quite small. You can get cheaper than this listing, it's just the first one I found.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/7-8-Motorcycle-Bike-Handlebar-Hydraulic-Brake-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-Lever-Quad-/291644400276?hash=item43e75c6294:g:ID0AAOSwll1WwXPH

There are also these which look pretty cafe to me:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pair-L-R-7-8-MOTORBIKE-HYDRAULIC-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-RESERVOIR-CLUTCH-LEVER-/371514507847?hash=item567ffd8247:g:C7sAAOSwWnFV~ThF

You can even go with the newer style sportbike ones with the remote mounted reservoirs. Literally, any one you can use, just make sure it's the correct bore size for your needs.

Tazz - The bars are too short horizontality. Politely, I am not asking for someone to build it for me simply trying to tap into the experience, the trials and errors from forum members. Save myself some time and cash.... maybe even save some stress. With all respect, I joined the forum to share experiences rather than be told - "build it yourself". Sometimes someone saying dont use this product as it is faulty, can be a life saver...something I do not want to find out through personal experience, my own trial and error..... but I totally understand and respect what you are trying to say. (on a personal note I grew up with single mum and two sisters, so I missed some mechanical basics in my early years)....

rhutchinson - thanks for the great reply. The technical aspect of the bore and the very helpful link, much appreciated. Two links was very helpful and the second choice looks clean and tidy. Thanks for encouragement.

The cheapo Chinese sport bike ones work fairly well if you don't mind the remote reservoir and want adjustment options. I use a set of these and they are still going strong- http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-Co...67835.html?spm=2114.10010108.0.160.5Xmc9M&s=p

They have the switches on them just like the stock wiring needs, and they have provisions for mirrors. The master size works well with the stock caliper FWIW.

Thanks Wolfe.... appreciate the fact you are using them successfully.....sometimes with the chinese stuff you never know.... I hear their manufacturer quality is going up.... I always appreciate someones personal experience with any product.

https://www.mikesxs.net/parts/img600/08-4005.jpg

just saw these on Mikes XS site ... i like them because it seems to make it easy with the wiring set up for brake lights... little more on the $$ side...

Safe riding!!

Attachments

• 08-4005.jpg
    08-4005.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 254
Got the same ebay master cylinder (cheap) as pictured. Installed it this morning with the changeover of the handlebars to straight drag bars.

I did the replacement then went to ride to work. No electronic starting. Unfortunately the bike got caught in water last night and now will start. I did not think to turn the bike over before I started work this morning and now I dont know if it was the water or me messing around with the starter button box. If the bike not start first thing before working on it obviously it would be the water.

I Checked the wires, fuses, etc and all good. The bike kicked over using kickstarter in the morning but did not kick over this afternoon after work. It was suggested to ground the ignition so I put old bars on to no avail.

I put wd40 in keyhole. Electronic ignition still not working. Nothing on youtube that I could find.

??? Any ideas? Metho in fuel tank?? WD40 in carbs?? Compressed air in key hole?? all the above plus more.

Got the bike running today.

I had a number of problems....
1. Heavy rain got into ignition key slot. Used wife's hair blow dryer to dry it out.
2. My new straight drag bars were coated black and thanks to xs400ers I found out about the need for the ignition button box to ground onto the bike somewhere. New straight metals bars fitted.
3. New spark plugs.
4. new Master cylinder ($30 from Ebay) and reworked brake fluid cable sorted out.
5. Cleaned out kill switch box and sanded rusty contact points within this box.

Its Working!!

Went for nice ride up Brisbanes Mt Cootha!! Heres a couple of images of the progress.

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 305
Back