new MAXIM owner - hello & need some help

zombie_andrew

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Greetings XS world,

I just picked up an '83 xs400 Maxim for a song. She will hopefully become a cafe racer and my 2nd bike. She runs, everything seems to work (well enough), but definitely needs some TLC.

Prior to stripping this girl, my plan is to make sure everything runs - i'd prefer to strip & rebuild the carbs first.

BIG QUESTION for a guy that doesn't know the answer:
Can I use the carb kit from an '82 Seca or another model DOHC? (Searches for xs400j carb kit are fruitless).

thanks XS world - shiny side up :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum:) I think all dohc xs400 carbs where the same. If not I am sure one of the dohc guys will chime in. Post some pics of the bike.

Thanks dudes. Can either recommend a thread that speaks towards the drivetrain differences? How do I post a photo here? There's gotta be a thread on that too ....
Welcome.
This search may offer you some discussions among us occasionally confused DOHC types:Easiest way I have found to attach a photo is to use the paper-clip icon when in the "advanced" mode. First, i.d. a photo you have saved somewhere on your computer by using "Browse, select it, then click "open", then click "Upload".

There are 2 modes for making a post: advanced and not-so-advanced. :shrug:
If the paper-clip icon isn't in the menu at the top, click the box labelled "go advanced" at the bottom, right, then check the new menu on top.

My 83 xs300 by dinner time today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 252
Back