New member from Charlotte Metro

TazzTheJynx

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there all, i'm Tazz. I live here in the Charlotte Metro (West side) and I very well may be getting a xs400 TOMORROW!!! I'm really excited, it's a 1981. All it needs is likely a carb cleaning (the gentleman let gas sit for the winter.. So I need to drain the bowls and clean the carbs) and it also needs a master cylinder.

The condition looks fantastic for the year, and for around $600 I think the price is fair. But, are there any things I needs to watch it for with the xs400 in particular? I've never owned a bike, but I've been looking for 'the bike' for over a year now.. Really hoping I can get my hands on this one...

00707_louH2ZII5v0_600x450.jpg

00000_3g8ANl6KwGK_600x450.jpg

00707_h9N0pT1Bi2k_600x450.jpg

welcome to the site Tazz.
sounds like a good start to xs ownership

check it works really, most stuff can be fixed easily enough and ensure there's no knocking noises (top end light tapping is ok as its noisy bike anyway being aircooled)

That's a good find, and a good deal if it runs. Welcome to the forum.

As you know, the carbs will need a cleaning, or two or three.
With those aftermarket mufflers the bike might run rich/lean. Some carb adjustments might be required to get it running in top form again.

Does it run?

It ran before it sat for winter... With gas in carbs...

That's a good find, and a good deal if it runs. Welcome to the forum.

As you know, the carbs will need a cleaning, or two or three.
With those aftermarket mufflers the bike might run rich/lean. Some carb adjustments might be required to get it running in top form again.

Thanks for the info, didn't realize the carbs were aftermarket.. I'll be sure to keep this in mind. :)

Doesn't look like you just need a master cylinder either, you need a caliper and pads as well!

He's rebuilt the caliper, I believe the front caliper is now on the bike. I'll be sure to confirm that though. :)

EDIT: Scratch that, apparently the caliper needs rebuilt. He has both the caliper and MC.

Well just remember, if it doesn't run, it doesn't run! I would offer much less, but that is just me. If he could get it running, then it might be worth more. It's not uncommon to see people buy bikes that just 'need carbs cleaned' only to find out that there are much worse problems with the motor.

Thanks for the info, didn't realize the carbs were aftermarket.. I'll be sure to keep this in mind. :)
Just to avoid any confusion: carbs are stock, mufflers look aftermarket.

EDIT: Scratch that, apparently the caliper needs rebuilt. He has both the caliper and MC.
We have similar bikes with similar problems. My from caliper needs to be rebuilt. Rebuilt kits are available online. Just make sure you get one for the 80-81 calipers as they are different.
IF you also need a new piston for the caliper there are only two replacement options available:
http://yambits.co.uk/xs400se-brake-caliper-piston-front-p-32642.html
http://www.hvccycle.net/yamaha-xs400-xs650-brake-caliper-piston-hvc200106f/
My piston is still stuck in the caliper but it will need replacing when I get it out. Will probably go with Yambits because they have a bunch of other stuff I want too.

As for the MC, there are also rebuilt kits available online. They include the piston at least. :)
I rebuilt the MC on my XS360. Works great.

To be honest, I may not even rebuild the caliper. Parts on this bike are so rusted that screws are breaking off (so far only 1...) but I think I found the cause of it not running.. A VERY hack job with the wiring harness. He got an aftermarket "one size fits all" harness basically. I plan to put the stock one back in (which he still had.. And is in actually better condition..)

So, no replacement piston. If I have to replace the piston i'll just buy a new entire caliper.. From what I hear the brakes suck anyway.

Oh, also, I did buy the bike. c:

Back