New member from the caribbean

turbo787

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello guys and gals. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm currently a non xs400 owner but plan to put that engine into a chopper I have and that's the reason why I joined. I want to see about this engine from people who have it and not just from what Google says. I'll be around browsing, and asking questions to gain as much knowledge as possible in regards of this engine so all comments will be welcomed!!!!! Thanks and ride safe... Here is my little 250cc chopper!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 2014-02-26 20.30.16.jpg
    2014-02-26 20.30.16.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 261
Hello there DMW... Yes my friend, that is an '06 Spyder 250. In fact, it is the one I will be putting the xs400 engine into b/c from what I've been able to find out the guys at the dealer service say it bolts right in w/o much fuss. My other options would be a rebel 450, which parts are way more expensive for and has right around the same hp/tq figures of the xs400, and my other choice would be an xs650. Between the 400 and 650 xs's I find that the 400 parts are more accessible, and is a six speed too. I don't need a huge engine, just something to be more ''loose'' and that doesn't work as hard as that little 250 with that heavy frame. Those are the things that plague this bike; the engine is too small for a frame that weighs in at right about the same weight of the rebel 450!!! They should've just put a slightly bigger engine in from the start.

Welcome to the Forum.
Interesting project. I am curious which xs400 engine you are considering the SOHC or the DOHC?
They are quite different and a DOHC could be either a 6 spd or a 5 spd depending if it's out of a Seca or a Maxim.

Hey there Lou Ranger. As of right now I don't know which engine year or the different variations of them so I wouldn't be able to tell you. That is why I'm here to find out from you guys with knowledge!!!!! What year is best, sohc or dohc, etc, etc...Thanks for the reply!!!!!!

... What year is best, sohc or dohc, etc, etc...

I have a dohc so, naturally, I will tell you it is best. Many more have the sohc and will likely have a different preference.

The dohc came out in 1981 so they all have breakerless electronic ignition. A sohc could have either type so make sure which first if it is important to you to have one and not the other.

The dohc is itself a structural member/part of the frame (you will note that there are no frame tubes in front of and underneath the engine). Works nicely with the Maxim/Seca frame but may not be able to serve this way in a JohnnyPag.

Then again, maybe you could improve upon the JohnnyPag set-up by eliminating the tubes. Sounds risky though, unless you have an engineering degree or a great deal of experience.

If you had to make a dohc do the job, I would guess adapting it to the proven frame would be a better idea.

But, if the sohc is an easy fit, it would seem a more prudent option given that there are so many more of them.

Unless you really want the extra horsepower ...

image0013556149539313ctdeu.gif

I wanted a Pag for a second. I am no motor genius so take this with a grain of salt. I would choose the SOHC breaker(points) motor. Less parts to make work on a different bike. Just my thoughts.

Id go with the dohc engine just cause of the fact it puts out more horses,as a con for this engine the valves are harder to adjust and require shimming.
A con on the sohc is the valves require no shims are easy to adjust and depending on the year can come with electronic ignition.
That's a sweet looking bike btw.
@ Lou Ranger where in the heck do you find there pics?That one cracked me up

Back