only

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, been lurking for a while, searching and gathering info. very helpful site!

new to the xs, not new to bikes. ive acquired a mechanically unmolested 1980 xs400 recently, and im getting it ready to go. bike was inop when i got it, but was told it ran last year. ive pulled the harness and gave it a once over, cleaning and ohming, and replaced the battery. bike spun, but wouldnt start. good blue spark on one, decent orange spark on two. ill visit that later. i currently have the carbs pulled down and soaking. bowls were green with funk. main jets, floats, and other misc easily removable parts were placed in carb dip, the remaining bodies are soaking in pine-sol. reassembly tomorrow. then once ive verified the issue, ill tear them completely down, rejet and re o-ring.

ive searched and read so much, but i have a few questions i need to ask. but first, figured id say "hey".

Hi only. Welcome to the forum. I also am working on a 1980 SG model. Good luck with the carbs. I hope that you get them clean the first try. You said easily removable. If you didn't remove the throttle shafts, the two seals on each one are notorious for air leaks. Can really mess with your tuning.

im just trying to see if it will run, however poorly. i plan to disassemble the carbs entirely and boil them with some lemon juice and vinegar, then replace all of the orings and seals/gaskets. im just trying to further evaluate the overall condition of the bike before i decide how to delegate time/money.

welcome to the site Only.

I thought you may of started with " I am, the one and Only, ain't nobody I'd rather be":laugh:

Back