New mufflers

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I think I finaly got me a nice set of mufflers that should be nice and quiet the way I want..
The only cost me $15 in gas and a 1 1/2 hour drive through some mean ass thunderstorms with torrential rain:yikes:
They were only on the bike for day before the PO removed them.

Attachments

• Harley exhaust for my bike.jpg
    Harley exhaust for my bike.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 301
I hope they are as quiet as you are hoping, but I'm going to guess that they will be loud. The smallest HD engine right now is 883 cc, double plus our engines. That means that the mufflers each have to deal with twice the exhaust flow that ours do. Like I said, I hope they work for you.

And I agree about the rain, I rode through 2 thunderstorms today. One was during a tornado alert. That was, umm, interesting...

Well they came off a 2003 Heritage Softail bike,They are still virgin inside which means no tampering with the baffles.They have to be quieter than Harley screaming eagle turnouts with the baffles punched in.:yikes:

Only problem I see is I may have to rejet back to smaller size mains since the carbs are jetted for open free flowing exhaust as of now.The PO said they were quiet on his 883cc bike and I figure since the 400cc isn't as powerful,doesnt put out as powerful as exhaust flow the bike should have a nice sound.They are also slip ons so as long as they fit my header pipes no welding yeah!I cant wait to start taking them off the main pipes they are on and see about retro fitting onto my bike.Ontop of that I have no large sum of investment in them except gas and a bit of time.Not to mention it was kinda fun driving through the torrential rainstorms on the way there.

Last edited:
The PO said they were quiet on his 883cc bike and I figure since the 400cc isn't as powerful,doesnt put out as powerful as exhaust flow the bike should have a nice sound..

Unfortunately mufflers don't work that way. They are designed for a certain volume of exhaust gasses. Out bikes will produce less than half the volume of gasses, so expect more than double the noise they made on the Harley.

I have the same muffler on mine, I made my own 2-1 as the diameter of the muffler intake was 42mm I think which was perfect for 2-1 coupling

Sounds very crisp the muffler I'm using actually has a cat in it which was a bit of a deterrent . Now it's going it doesn't bog down at all cant wait to ride it

Im putting mine on tomorrow Im anxious to hear what they like.Im so sick and tired of loud pipes.This is the last set of mufflers this bike is going to have by me.

Thanks mechnewbie that's what I want to hear.No offense to the guys that think they will be louder cause of the difference in exhaust pules produced by the 400cc engine But If they prove to be quieter than expected I`ll be happy as shit.I hope to resolve any problems with a loud exhaust that's been driving me crazy for the past year yet alone be able to hear my engine.Im also surprised by the number of other people that are using them.

I'm waiting for your results!

I have a new pair of stock HD Road King mufflers sitting in a box that I've pondered installing on my bike. I'm reluctant to try them as I'd have to shorten my head pipes to install them, and that would prevent me from easily reinstalling my current mufflers if the HD mufflers didn't work out...

They wont fit directly on the head pipes as the diameter is too small.I have already previously had welded an extention to the head pipes that is the correct diameter so that they slip on.

@mechnewbie what did you do with the holes for the cats did you weld them shut.Im going to see if I can find some copper plumbing caps as close to the diameter and seal them that way.

@Dave progress is hampered by sever knee and back today but when I get them on the sound clip should help make up your mind.:)

Ok heres the verdict,got them on and plugged up the holes for the cats as good as could.Over all they are not quiet but they are inbetween quiet and loud and sound nice.They sound crisp and throaty high performance like, but not loud.I guess the best description of how they would sound would be like a mac 2 N 1 with standard muffler that comes with the kit.
I promiss as soon as I get the cat holes block off I`ll make a sound clip but I think most people will like it.:thumbsup:
Oh and they are heavy you will have to fab and offset bracket to hold the rear of them in place.

Back