New spokes???

dodger0129

amatuer/enthusiast builde
Reaction score
I am thinking of renewing my spokes and am wondering if it's possible to change them one by one,IE: Take one out,replace it,move on to the next one.:shrug:
From what I've been told,re-lacing the wheel is a complete nightmare for the beginner!!:banghead:
Any thoughts????

Get at the least, a wheel balancing stand. You don't need a "truing" stand unless your bike is really fast (high top speed) and requires more accuracy. You can get these cheap on ebay or from harbor freight, etc. To make a balance stand into a crude truing stand you can tape something like a straw to one side near the edge of the rim when it's on the stand. Of course if you're sufficiently clever you can even make your own.

You can lace the wheel one spoke at a time, but it will make cleaning the wheel more difficult. You won't often get the opportunity to have a bare rim that is very easy to polish and clean. I'd probably take some detailed digital photos to make sure I get the pattern right, but doing one spoke at a time will also work.

The process is pretty systematic, but requires patience. Look at some videos on youtube to get and idea of what is involved.

Get at the least, a wheel balancing stand. You don't need a "truing" stand unless your bike is really fast (high top speed) and requires more accuracy. You can get these cheap on ebay or from harbor freight, etc. To make a balance stand into a crude truing stand you can tape something like a straw to one side near the edge of the rim when it's on the stand. Of course if you're sufficiently clever you can even make your own.

You can lace the wheel one spoke at a time, but it will make cleaning the wheel more difficult. You won't often get the opportunity to have a bare rim that is very easy to polish and clean. I'd probably take some detailed digital photos to make sure I get the pattern right, but doing one spoke at a time will also work.

The process is pretty systematic, but requires patience. Look at some videos on youtube to get and idea of what is involved.

OK,cheers BC....

I was thinking along the lines of it being easier to a)Keep the pattern.b)keep each spoke length/tension/adjustment correct,assuming that it is at the moment of course!!LOL:yikes:
She's a hardtail,so more of a plodder than speed machine!haha
I could definately use a stand though I think.:thumbsup:
Will check out youtube for some vids :thumbsup:

I'm not sure it will make keeping the rim straight any easier. After you see the videos you'll know why. You don't measure tension quantitatively; it's more qualitative and based on what you see and hear. It would make keeping the pattern correct very easy though.

i used youtube to do mine as the patterns are pretty much standrd 4 cross over and no offset.

I bottled it on the truing bit though

Back