New to me 84 Maxim

Treebeard

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I just picked up an 84 Yamaha Maxim and at first I bought it because it was $400, and then I rode it down the alley and the carb was completely full of bad gas so it felt awful, but I bought it anyway because, comon, motorbike for $400? heck yeah!

So I flogged er a little, did some cleaning, run some fresh fuel through and hot dang, this little this is fun! I'm in love! Then my roomate and I are going over customization ideas, pain, kill the plastics, cafe racer seat and bars, redo the brakes, etc. etc. when the bug really dug in. Two custom XS400's at my local pub, one white with red stripes cafe racer and a lime green and black cruiserish style bike and I was hooked, this is my bike, and it shall be loved and torn to pieces.

step 1: cafe racer handlebars and a carb cleaning.
steps 2 through 4: ambition
step 5: sweet new leathers to go with an epic bike build.

So yeah, Hi everybody! I don't have a garage so to speak, but I plan on making a cafe racer inspired bike, and maybe a little street tracker influence, haven't exactly decided yet.

pictures! https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ijklrcf82zpgcvv/qwBef2LOIh

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Unless you have another bike to ride until winter, I would recommend you leave the Maxim alone until then and simply ride it every day and get familiar with it.
And read about all the conversions on here. Because of the very different frame configuration and the fact that the engine is a stressed member, some people have had real problems making radical changes to the Maxim/Seca - but it has been done.

Check out Willem's thread first: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595

I appreciate the info Loud Ranger! I'm in no real hurry to dive into a project like this and plan on getting the engine to great running order first if I can, then starting mods, but the handlebars really do need to go, I figure that's a pretty straightforward mod that won't involve much change. Pics will come shortly! but possible next week because I'm going on vacation for a few days

Alright, few weeks later, I need some advice on what I'm thinking.

So first off, I really dislike the ergonomics of the maxim, seat's too low, pegs are too far forward, and the handlebars are too high. basically, I've discovered I really like a 3/4 or tuck position on a race bike, but ever so slightly higher than clipons. So basically, I love naked bikes.

Secondly, there is nowhere near enough power in this thing and I'm hoping that has to do with my supremely dirty carb that isn't running smoothly and I'm planning on cleaning this winter. Would upgrading exhaust and air filters be beneficial? I would like to have 30 to 40 little horses out of this thing if possible.

Thirdly, is there any way to make this thing handle better? I had a 1982 Kawasaki GPZ that handled very well for it's age around corners and felt good and confident through the corners with good turn in. On my Maxim, I feel uncomfortable in corners, the steering is really heavy and I have to wrestle it through corners. Would upgrading handlebars to something with less or no rise (such as a drag bar) be beneficial here? Or should I just stop and buy a bike more suited to my preferences?

You've got 38 horses in there somewhere (http://www.ehow.com/list_7425541_yamaha-xs-400-maxim-specifications.html), but only with clean and properly synched carbs, proper valve settings and fresh oil and plugs.

As to handling problems, have you verified that your forks are filled with good oil, that your tires aren't old and dry and your mono-shock is still functioning? If so, perhaps the swing arm bearing is shot (it being a weak point apparently).

A lot of people like Maxims that haven't been altered so if you get it tuned and cleaned up, you probably could double your money, then buy what you'll be happy with.

hmm, good info, but getting the shocks tuned properly would likely be good idea. I'm about 80% sure my monoshock works, the back end still compresses and feels kinda like it should.

Oh, and are these things supposed to have 5 gears? This bike feels like it should have another gear, especially for the highway!

You shouldn't have to wrestle any bike through corners. Our bikes are light and easy to lean. And keep in mind that the Maxim is a cruiser, not a sport bike. It should feel solid and stable. Maybe that is what you are feeling as heavy? Check the steering stem bearings after you have checked everything else that Lou mentioned.

I'd also agree with Lou's advice, clean and polish your Maxim, perform any required maintenance and repairs, and you will have a bike that is worth double (or more) than you have into it.

also noted, I'm making a super awesome checklist to go over, and considering I paid $400 for the bike I think it would be very easy to double the price I paid if it's in better condition!

but I'll certainly give it a shot.

To be more specific, what I feel as "heavy" in the handling is I have no counter steering as I would on another bike, when I turn right, I have to pull the handlebars right and steer rather more traditionally. I didn't experience this on my dad's 1200 virago, nor did I feel this on my GPZ sport bike, on both the latter bikes I would countersteer as normal and lean into corners. Maybe the bearings are going... I'll definitely check, thanks guys!

I'm also considering making somewhat of a bobber build and shortening the seat and doing a solo seat setup.

Oh! And is there any easy way to make the brakes a little... less 80's?

Last edited:
First off, I fully agree with everything Lou and Dave said.

same story with the brakes actually. If you service them well (new brake fluid, good pads, perhaps new shoes at the back, bleed the MC) you should be able to brake decently. But if you're still unhappy with the brakes at that point, you could consider converting to dual discs.

Another thing I would definitely do to improve handling, is replace the front fork oil. It doesn't get replaced by most people, and I found it very beneficial to my bike's performance.

one last thing: where are those pics?

... I'm also considering making somewhat of a bobber build and shortening the seat and doing a solo seat setup.
Oh! And is there any easy way to make the brakes a little... less 80's?
Just a further thought. If you have major doubts that the underlying, inherent bike is not capable of giving you the feel you want, then how likely is it that it will perform that way after you change it from original and make it unsaleable?

Unless you are sure you will want to keep it after you change it, my advice would be to keep it 100% original, and put your efforts into restoring all it's original performance (brake pads, fork oil, bearing service, valves, carbs) and appearance (wax and touch up paint).
It will involve less work and have greater re-sale value in that form. Then, you can put the money towards a different style bike - maybe a Seca or a Radian....

Last edited:
Yeah I think keeping it stock for now is my best bet, but going through and service all the things! Pics are... well, coming eventually, maybe tonight if I remember! actually, correction, I'm going to go make a reminder for myself, check back tonight!

and for comparison's sake, my rear drum brake is currently more able to stop my bike than my front brake is, needs some love me thinks.

as promised, pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ijklrcf82zpgcvv/qwBef2LOIh

Last edited:
looks good man!

yea if the front brakes are that bad, they are in dire need of a service ;)

With me, even simply topping off the brake fluid was a HUGE difference. Definitely check the pads and possibly replace them (also if they're hard and glassy), replace the fluid and bleed the brake.

That is a good looking bike, depending on how much money you spend on getting it sorted you may triple your money. Regarding your crappy brakes, is the lever spongy, is there a lot of travel? My 82 has that problem even after a MC and caliper disassemble and clean. I normally have good success after a clean and flush, but if you don't, maybe your rubber brake line has turned soft. I think mine has.

Back