New to the forum and to bikes looking for some direction.

Seems to be gunked up. I think If you were to get all the other stuff off, I was lucky, that big slide was fine, the brass thing underneath it needed a small piece of wood, and knock it up towards the top of the carb. Light tapping, nothing hard. Perhaps if you were to start there, that will knock free your gunked up slide? The thing with boiling is that the rubber stuff will deteriorate, and gum up the insides worse than what it is. There is a thing at the auto repair shops/fleet farm, and what not, its called Carb dip, I take it back, its called Chem Dip, follow link. it has a basket to dunk the carb into the dip. Remember to wear safety glasses, I don't know how many times some overspray got into my eyes.

Good luck

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0406_-1_-1&pt=N0406&ppt=C0126

thanks for the replys. I let them soak overnight in penetrating grease. then set them in the sun for awhile today to heat up. Followed that up with a light mixture of borax and water for about 2-3 minutes just on the metal part of the slide with q tips. Rinsed with water, then wd40. Then again with the penetrating grease for about 2 hours. i got one to break free. It was almost like glued in there. Im not sure about tapping on them with a piece of wood, paranoid about damaging something. I cleaned them up again, and sprayed the one down with penetrating grease. im gonna let that soak overnight again see if i can get the other one to free up. once thats done ill be taking them all the way down and cleaning best i can. Is scotch brite pads and wd40 alright to use on the aluminium? Anything i should be careful of? What about cleaning the brass?

Both are free now. I should have time tomorrow to take them all the way down and start the cleaning process. and as far as the slide rubber boot ill see if i can get them to work before spending more money on parts i dont need. =P thank you though for the link. cant wait to get this running.

http://jbmindustries.com/Yamaha650.html

Ebay guy wants 22.84, plus 3.57, for S/H = 26.41 for one, Shipping changed to 3.74 when I changed the number to 2. 22.84x2=45.68+3.74=49.42
JBM Industries wants 19.50, plus6.80 S/H = 26.30

Ebay guy is selling the JBM model(probably). You can tell cause he took the images from the JBM website. I paid 45.80 for 2 of them. back Mar 9, 2013 from JBM. :rolleyes: Its your money, its not really too bad. I was going to buy the Carb holders ($64)from JBM, but then I bought those off of Ebay for about $45. JBM is nice cause they use Aircraft Rubber, which is better than rubber from the rubber tree. (Cash flow-Family of 4=-$$) I have yet to see a bad review from JBM Industries, they have been published all over our website.
Good luck
Tobie

1980 yamaha xs 400 special. so long story short. brother was %$#@ing with the carbs when i was out of the house. he bent a float when he dropped it and broke the vertical column that pins the float into the carb. jbing the cylindrical column back on but can someone tell me if these floats will work? Thanks guys. Sorry ive been away for a bit, got stuff going on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS40...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dced4752&vxp=mtr

Ps. I bent the other float... Beer muscles and beer brain. no bueno.

Back