New to the XS world

nycapt

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I saw a xs bobber up close and fell in love , and I've been searching for one for on and off 3 years. I came across an add on craigs list for a 1977 XS 400D with only 1384miles,the pic looked amazing so i had to check it out after a few phone calls with the guy I arranged to meet him, being it was my birthday on the 13th (I felt good about this)so I got in my truck and headed 2 hrs up to North Jersey. when I got there my jaw dropped ,first off this guy had a number of atv and bikes in his barn (all his) so after showing me the bike for a 1/2 hr he said he wanted to clear his head and ask me if I wanted to join him in a ride up the mountains, not wanting to pass it up i said yes. He told me to pic a atv and off we went. so after and 1/2hr or so we stoped and had a smoke and he told me all about the bike and how he bought this bike for his kid in the Spring of 77 and how his wife and son were killed in an accident in the Winter of 78 I started to choke up,he slapped me on the shoulder and told me to cheer up that he was over it and just wanted to get rid of the reminder in his barn and we should get back to my bike. so we get back to the house he invites me in for a cup o joe then we can go take my bike for a spin. so we do , I go for a ride and get back he ask me if i like it I tell him i'll like it! so after a 2nd cup of joe i tell him my intention with XS and how it was gonna be my b/d gift to me. He tells me i know i had it up for $1400 just give me 500 and get it the hell out of here.(my jaw dropped for the 2nd time and nearly shit !). so after helping me load it on my truck he tell me to keep in touch and come up for a ride any time and would love to see my finished XS bobber(which i fully intend to) ,wishes me happy birthday shakes my hand and give be a bro hug and see's me off!

Thank you Mike, you are one cool cat and hope I can do you proud!

Attachments

• bikes 027.jpg
    bikes 027.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! What a find and a wonderful story. Those of us here who are traditionalists will tell you to not chop up a cherry bike like that but it is yours to do with what you please. This is a great group of folks and you will find help here. Take some time to read through the forum to acquaint yourself with the XS400.

ps: I have a nice but not cherry '79 I'd work a deal with you on. Mine is a perfect project bike.

Last edited:
nycapt, now before I say this, I want you to know I am all about cutting things up, that is what I do when ever I get something. That being said, DON'T CUT THAT UP!!!!
I dig the story and the history of the bike, but it would pay more respect to leave that bike bone stock. If finances are an issue consider flipping it on eBay or here.
After you clear a 300% profit, buy a beater for $300 -500 and you will have tons of money to fund your project. My last project was under $2,500 and that was with new everything.
Just pause for a moment and look at how clean that bike is right now and compare it to the other original bikes on this site and you have a diamond.
If it still isn't convincing you to keep it as is, take great care in dismantling it as you will make money on all of those parts.

Good luck in whatever choice you make.

I know its your bike but please don't cut it up! Find a p.o.s to do that to!! Its worth way more in that state and are very hard to find.

great intro and another outstanding bike as is.

now we're all for individualism, but that is one clean machine.

no pressure like....

Normally I don't like stock xs400s, but when they look brand new like that... I'm just saying, you'll get a lot more attention and complements if you have a perfect original-looking bike.

Wow, thats an amazing way to start, I'm with everyone else on here, sell it and build 3 bikes with the money you get, or just change up the handle bars, ride awhile until you meet another worthy owner and pass it on.

ok well here goes after reading your posts i am gonna have to agree with you fellas. so maybe one of you cats want it make me an offer the truth is i dont like it in its curent state and i really want a nice bobber. i know what these cherrys go for when you can get your hands on one of them so maybe a trade and some $$ all offers will be entertained, if i dont get the right one it will be bobbed .

That's a good course of action. You can make a classified post if you haven't already. Good luck and post up any progress you make.

Put it on ebay! You will get a lot for it:thumbsup: Don't think you would get what you want on here:(

great story! thanks for sharing.

cut it up, build it and show it to the man that sold it to you. make sure you make a hell of a job! :)
with a story like that I would feel bad to sell it for a profit.
even though its a nice bike, sometimes you gotta see past those things and just dig in.

my 2cents.

ok well here goes after reading your posts i am gonna have to agree with you fellas. so maybe one of you cats want it make me an offer the truth is i dont like it in its curent state and i really want a nice bobber. i know what these cherrys go for when you can get your hands on one of them so maybe a trade and some $$ all offers will be entertained, if i dont get the right one it will be bobbed .

PM sent.

great story! thanks for sharing.

cut it up, build it and show it to the man that sold it to you. make sure you make a hell of a job! :)
with a story like that I would feel bad to sell it for a profit.
even though its a nice bike, sometimes you gotta see past those things and just dig in.

my 2cents.

i agree i dont really wanna make a profit just wanna own a nice xs bobber:thumbsup:

ok so after a little research i now see what i have in my possesion and have decided to keep it in its original state , gonna keep looking around for xs to chop. i thank all for the advice and for the offers. hope i didnt waste ne ones time. i may still want to sell it to someone more deserving of this gem than myself.

regards ,
T.

Takes all kinds, Cap...

I, for one, am glad to see this one preserved a bit longer. My XS400 was a $100 dollar, non-runner that someone else lost interest in. For a few dollars more, my son and I have her running and are close to putting it back on the road. If you weren't on the right coast and me on the left, I'd have tossed a trade your way.

Doug

Back