New User, New Owner, New Motorcycle - Oil

AdrianPirata82

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello People,
I´m new here, my name is Adrián I´m from Argentina.

I just bought a XS400 Special 1983 with 36.000 km, the motorcycle look like a new, I´m so happy.

Before ride my motorcycle I need to know wich oil is recommended or the right. Now it´s using "ELF 20w50 synthetic", it´s OK?

thanks.-

Last edited:
If the ELF is certified for motorcycles with wet clutches, fine. Just make sure it is either a motorcycle oil, diesel oil or its specifications make it clear that it will not cause a problem for wet clutches. Most 20w50s are OK, but I would check.

Thanks so much "Guru", I´m sure the oil is certified for motorcycles. I was a little worried because when this motorcycles were manufactured the synthetic oil did not exist. I hope that was not a problem.
I´m going to upload photos.
Tks

I don't see any down side for using synthetic. Unfortunately, some ideas about synthetics that stem from when they were brand new persist. The most often mentioned issue is it cleaning out areas where, I guess, oil gunk had sealed leaks, thereby making new leaks. My answer: first, doubtful that it really happens, really doubtful that it would happen with a 20w50. ; second, I guess if a leak becomes a problem, there is a radical solution....fix the leak.

The greater issue, to me, is whether synthetic provides any advantage for the cost. This is less clear if you stick to the recommended oil change interval, which I would with a shared sump and an air-cooled engine.

In sum, that oil should be fine and if you are happy with it, stick with it.

I don't see any down side for using synthetic. Unfortunately, some ideas about synthetics that stem from when they were brand new persist. The most often mentioned issue is it cleaning out areas where, I guess, oil gunk had sealed leaks, thereby making new leaks. My answer: first, doubtful that it really happens, really doubtful that it would happen with a 20w50. ; second, I guess if a leak becomes a problem, there is a radical solution....fix the leak.

The greater issue, to me, is whether synthetic provides any advantage for the cost. This is less clear if you stick to the recommended oil change interval, which I would with a shared sump and an air-cooled engine.

In sum, that oil should be fine and if you are happy with it, stick with it.

Thank for you time, and your opinion, its very important for me, so I´m going to try that oil, the engine has no leaks.

thanks again.

On this side of the equator, the code to look for is for "Wet Clutch = MA" That appears to be an older code, so its towards the end of the certified codes if your ELF, Which is why (among other reasons) alot of us are using Shell Rotella. (look around you will find it all here)

On this side of the equator, the code to look for is for "Wet Clutch = MA" That appears to be an older code, so its towards the end of the certified codes if your ELF, Which is why (among other reasons) alot of us are using Shell Rotella. (look around you will find it all here)

Thank you, a question..... which are the specifications of Rotella?20w50?
I´m going to see that code.

Regards.-

People, this is my dream made true

full

Attachments

• yamaha-xs-400-special_MLA-F-137788766_160.jpg
    yamaha-xs-400-special_MLA-F-137788766_160.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 219
Yup, alot of good info, back in 2011, Zulu started a thread called "Put your opinion on oils" I had just bought me some Yamalube oil, and after looking at the container, the only code on it was MA. so a quick google, I found this guys advice http://bikeadvice.in/engine-oils/ then I posted my findings.
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88322&postcount=26

Ok, so.... are there some problem if the motorcycle is now using Synthetic and I change it for mineral?

Back