New xs400 problems.

Have you removed the petcock from the tank? There is a filter screen on the petcock. If this screen is plugged, no gas flow.
Have you taken the petcock apart and cleaned it?
Leo

Ya I pulled the whole thing out and took it apart, everything looked to be in pretty good condition. Filter didnt look too bad, pulled it out and I didnt really notice anything blocking the passages.

Alright I need to go ahead and replace my butterfly seals. The Problem is I cant get the screws to come out. Anyone else run into this issue?

The screws are brass, the end that sticks out past the shaft is crimped to prevent them from falling out. If you have the right JIS screwdriver, JIS screwdrivers are made different from American screwdrivers, Google it, then with some lube on the treaded part of the screw they may come out. I open the throttle plates and caefull grind the crimped part of the screw away. They come out ok then.
Replace with new screws.
Leo

Ya I the plan was to replace them anyway, I just dont want to damage anything else in the process of removing them. I will try dremeling the backside, thanks.

Update: Just started the lengthy process of getting this thing legal. The bike was given to me, no title obviously. Yes I know its risky getting anything without a title but I know where it came from and it was free. Anyway so after $100 and a bunch of paperwork im on my way to getting a bonded title. I had to argue with the lady for 30mins about the year of this bike, finally she saw things my way. Seems like they make it as hard/expensive/lengthy as possible to title old bikes like this.

The dealers don't want people putting old bikes on the road because you won't be buying the new ones.

I don't reccomend getting a bike without a title, If no title I won't do much with it untill I do.
No title is just a parts bike.
Leo

I just dont understand how careless people are with titles. My buddy bought 2 bikes without titles as well, seems like the majority I see on CL are without one as well.

There is a (legal) loophole where i've heard you can sell it to someone in a non title state like Maine and then buy it back from them and your good. If this route fails or gets expensive I will try that.

A lot of states are cracking down on people doing this. I live in ny and unless you have a title or the last owner file for a lost one you are screwed:laugh:

Figures, god forbid anyone circumvents the laws legally. I was told it will have to be inspected since it is an out of state vehicle. Kinda worried since this is a pretty bare bike.

With all the mods on your bike they might not like it. NY is very strict on what they will let on the road unless you know someone :wink2:

Swapped headlights with my other xs400 and now it will not turn on. Im getting some voltage from the relay but not much. I was going to wire a switch so that I could turn it off during the day anyway, can i just ditch the whole relay and just run the power from the fuse?

Edit: I guess my battery is pretty dead, because its starting super slow. But my question is still valid. Would this work, be a good idea?

Last edited:
I messed up. Looks like i will need more than I thought to get this thing inspected. I took apart the left hand controls and lost some of the pieces. I need to hook up a switch for the low/high beam, on/on toggle switch? Also I need a horn so im thinking about using the start button as the horn and wiring in a push button start near my ignition.

I wasn't able to find an on/on switch so i picked up an on/off/on. Haven't had a chance to test it yet but the new start button works just fine. After thinking for a while on location this was the best I could come up with. Still waiting on the horn so I can wire the old start button to it. I was told I also need a red reflector somewhere at the back.

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
I messed up. Looks like i will need more than I thought to get this thing inspected. I took apart the left hand controls and lost some of the pieces. I need to hook up a switch for the low/high beam, on/on toggle switch? Also I need a horn so im thinking about using the start button as the horn and wiring in a push button start near my ignition.

I wasn't able to find an on/on switch so i picked up an on/off/on. Haven't had a chance to test it yet but the new start button works just fine. After thinking for a while on location this was the best I could come up with. Still waiting on the horn so I can wire the old start button to it. I was told I also need a red reflector somewhere at the back.

just get a stick on reflector, that's what most peeps do in the uk. About the size of a dime

I lived in Texas for about 45 years and bought a few bikes and cars without titles.I just applied for a lost title,the DMV did a search[after 5-6 years,the files are deleted and listed as inactive],and simply signed an affidavit of facts,weighed it at an official scale,and was issued a new title.Here in Tn,you just produce a bill of sale,and you have a title.Also,there is no inspection here lha

That might have worked but this bike came from Kansas. Im not sure how this will end up, she said I have to pay some insurance premium or something that will be mailed to me. Im assuming that its for the bond as I already have the bike insured. I really envy the no inspection states!

My petcock from parts n more came today, pretty stoked. No more bottle. Seems I will need new tires to pass as well, these have cracks. I have a 130/90 -16 rear my brother gave me, its got more of a street bike tire look than I like but it was free. Will this work for the rear? Looking at these for the front.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/11893/ITEM/Michelin-Gazelle-M62-Moped-Tire.aspx

I lived in Texas for about 45 years and bought a few bikes and cars without titles.I just applied for a lost title,the DMV did a search[after 5-6 years,the files are deleted and listed as inactive],and simply signed an affidavit of facts,weighed it at an official scale,and was issued a new title.Here in Tn,you just produce a bill of sale,and you have a title.Also,there is no inspection here lha
@Ihaolpa,...I live in TN, and am having trouble getting my local DMV (knoxville) to issue me a title. How do you go about this? I do have a bill of sale, but they want me to go through a lengthy process where I am eventually issued a certificate of ownership, then a title. Your way sounds much simpler. Do you contact Nashville directly?

Back