New xs400......to me it is anyway.

beatup86

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there, names Alex and I just bought a brand new barn find 1982 yamaha xs400. Once again, its new to me lol. Anyway, found this thing on CL for 400 bucks, 15000 miles, black, doesnt run, needs a hell of a lot of cleaning. But hey for 400 bucks im not complaining. Anyway, here is what im going to do, im going on leave in a week, so ill be gone for like a month. during that time im going to buy a jet kit, ultrasonic cleaner, carb boots, plugs, wires, something to clean the gas tank with, and wiring components. the bike has great compression, and turns freely. so im gunna get it to run before i do anything to it first. hopefully 6 months from now ill have myself a nice little cafe racer. ill post pics when im not on a government computer.

6 months is a really long time for a good carb cleaning. I'm sure you'll be rolling in a weekend.

Scratch the wires and tank cleaning (get a fuel filter instead) and get the carbs clean and running. Unless your wires are obviously faulty, it's just wasted money until you know it's a problem.

lol i ment 6 months for the whole thing. and yea my wires are jacked up, need new fuse box and all that. im just going to take my time on this so i know i do everything right. and ill be deploying soon so itll take a little longer cause of that.

finally got a pic for you guys, i know its nothing special but im giddy like a school girl for it.:D

Attachments

• 2012-09-10_18-31-42_377.jpg
    2012-09-10_18-31-42_377.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 264
thanks oldtop, yea i have just been reading for days now. i just took of the rear fender, lights, seat, tank, and am working on the exhaust but those things dont wanna leave their home. im just taking my time on it and learning as i go.

Back