newbi question

Stretching usually involves a longer swing-arm, but one could elongate another portion of the frame.

Rake is the angle the front forks make with the vertical or normal as measured at the steering stem.

Here is a picture to demonstrate some other terms including rake:

rake_trail.jpg

Hard tail just means the rear suspension was removed and replaced with something solid, like more tubing. Some people prefer the look over comfort or performance. This diagram demonstrates a hard tail; it has no rear suspension.

thanks for rake i understand now....

but for stretch..... it is the buttom tube or top tube of the hardtail... they are longer

or both?

thanks

Stretch is a generic term. If someone were to just say "I stretched my bike 4 inches." They would almost certainly mean that they lengthened the swing-arm by 4 inches. If someone had more extensive modifications done, like a hard tail, they would probably clarify further. Whether or not someone lengthens the top or bottom tube on a hard tail is going to vary by application; the person would probably make that clear or the photos would for them. In other words, there is no way to know unless you are told or shown.

Take a look at my frame in my build thread. It has been hardtailed, stretched 4 inches and also raked. You should be able to tell where the frame was cut and welded back together. The hardtail is getting redone, but you should be able to get the "just" of it by the pic. Let us know if you need anymore info man!

Back