Newbie here from Idaho... with a parts xs360

Norman1950

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Well I just bought myself a basket case xs360 (going to pick it up here shortly). The gentlemen says it is "pretty" much a complete bike minus frame.... yes I know..:wtf:

But for the price I said why the hell not. I enjoy wrenching and searching for parts. The main reason why I wanted to buy this basket case was the rear wheel. I am also over at xs650 with a Santee rigid frame that I am putting a xs650 in with a 23" front wire wheel and wanted an 18" wire wheel for the rear. Hence this bike fit the bill...

After doing some research and finding pictures I am almost liking the mag style on it, if I were to rebuild it. He did say that the engine probably needs to be refreshened up :yikes:.

I know I am crazy for diving in on this basket case, but figure what the heck, I get my wheel I want if all else fails.

Will try to get pictures once I pick up the pieces...

And now I am on the search for a frame for the bike...

Thank you very much. Here are some pictures of the "pieces" I bought.

But stoked that the "froze" motor is not froze at all... the guy was trying to use the kick starter by hand to turn it over. I took out the plugs and took off the stator cover. I was able to put the 17mm wrench on the "crank" bolt and rotate it counter clockwise pretty easy. Next I need to go get a compression tester to see how bad the cylinders are. Also excited that the tank had no major dents and just minor rust on the inside.

Now I might just have to try to find a frame to try to put it together.

What the pieces in picture no. 2 by chance? Thanks

Pic 2 is your rear wheel spacers and the headlight mounting bracket.

welcome and good luck with your basket case it well fits a description of its name:laugh:
So what do you know about the engine is it supposed to run or not?

welcome and good luck with your basket case it well fits a description of its name:laugh:
So what do you know about the engine is it supposed to run or not?

I have no clue about the engine. The guy I bought it from didn't have a clue. The gentleman who I bought it from found it in a field on some property he just bought. He found 2 bike, one somewhat a complete roller, and the other one in parts. As you can tell I bought the "parts" one, too late on the "complete" roller.

I am going to go rent a compression tester and go from there...

Im not sure if it would be worth the time or $ spent rounding up the rest of the parts you need to make a complete bike or be better to try and find a complete bike and keep the parts for spares.

Im not sure if it would be worth the time or $ spent rounding up the rest of the parts you need to make a complete bike or be better to try and find a complete bike and keep the parts for spares.

Part of the fun of "building" a bike for me is in the part hunting also. Like to try to find bargains from all over the state. I got lucky and call up the local cycle salvage and he happens to have a frame (haven't been able to go look at it yet). But it is all in the fun of part chasing and learning about the bike. On these older bikes, seems like every part I purchase across the US has a story to go with it. Also not trying to build the bike in weeks or even months. It will get done when it gets done :thumbsup:

Thanks.

I wish you the best of luck on your project,I know somebody personaly that's doing the something similar building a bike from scratch and building his own frame.

It's not easy get a custom frame registered. Unless you are using a neck with a title to build it.

I lived in Meridian a few years back and Kuna after that...Ex and kids still live in Kuna...In my house...

Well I have found my frame and an extra motor. Will be picking it up hopefully tomorrow. Shortly I will have some carbs in the mail to me. If the engine checks out. almost thinking about throwing it together and running as is. Of course checking and making sure it is mechanically sound. I will try to get some pictures of the new "frame" tomorrow.

Well ended up getting my frame with engine, wheels, and more then I thought that was on it. But don't remember the the points cover being gone and the kick start being gone, but oh well, at least I have a spare motor to use them from. Really debating on going the cafe look or "original" or "original untouched" look. Here are a few pictures. I put my tank and side cover on that I had.

Back