newbie problems any solutions

newbbuilder

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all..new to this forum and bikes in general.. The lowdown I recently bought a 1982 400 maxim dohc for my bobber build . Low miles was told he only stripped the idle air screws so it ran for like 30 secs. High idle than died...well alas today i take the carbs off.not only did he strip almost all the screws he also broke the idle screw and the little hoop it threads into..I'm assuming there is no repairing it but just asking for any advice :wtf:

Attachments

• IMG_20131022_142242.jpg
    IMG_20131022_142242.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 81
Some people don't have the right to posses tools,It boggles my mind how bad people can screw stuff up.
Im going to say that the one carb is damaged beyond repair and the screws on the other need to be extacted carefully and replaced with new.

Pretty much he put pod filters and rejected but tore up damn near everything..I can get the screws out but unless I make a bracket or something I cnt set the idle which makes it very hard to ride..as it is the bike only runs for about 30 seconds at 3000rpm

There has been a few dohc xs400 carbs on ebay. I would start looking there.

A single carb on a 180 degree parallel twin doesn't work. Every attempt I've read of has performed very poorly. The factory would have saved a bunch of money on every bike they made, and just used one carb if they could have. Even modern injected bikes use 2 throttle bodies and injectors...

Agree:thumbsup: One side will always run much hotter and leaner than the other. Even when using a vm or flatslide carb.

My buddies bike runs fine..little lean/rich respectively but its that way most of the time with dual carb setup..his bike is the only reason I've considered it

Ok. If you say so. I'm not going to argue the point. But, I also won't waste the effort to confirm what has been proven by people with much more education, and access to laboratories, than I have.

True story that's y I haven't done it..nt sure the weeks of tuning and what all he's done to make it work..spent a winter making it run but it was a thought..I'm jus gonna buy 1 and then a rebuild kit and on with my standstill bobber project

Back