Newbie! With some questions of course.

Ok so this is what in talking about. The manual says nothing about where it should be set. Help me figure this out!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 216
This pip lines up with the pip on the end of the cam. This should be working.. Confused!! Tell me what I did wrong. I'm super desperate ha.

Man... What in the sam hell is that thing? Is that an alternator or something? If I was a betting man (and I really ain't) then I'd wager that's an alternator with a waste spark system.

Well the black thing that you see is the TCI ignition box. The little rotor I the end of the cam spins, nod each time one of the ends I the rotor go Over a designated section of the unit, it creates a spark. There for you can rotate it to advance or retard your ignition.

I got new valves for my bike and got it running. Now it's making some small
Knocking sound but could just be valves or something else. Ill post a video some time. Thanks for all of your help everyone. Really appreciate it!

I'm not sure what your small knock sounds like. If it's still valves it would be more of a click if it's more knock like it could be slight piston slap or worse a rod bearing. Also how high in the engine is your noise. If it's it's up high near or in the head again most likely valves or even check the tension on your timing chain. Lets hope that's all. It's an easy fix but piston slap or rod bearings are a rebuild.

Must Be I just got my lawn tractor back together after a near disaster. Finished mowing a week ago & it Sauced Out. Oil all over and knocking. took the engine out found the oil pan, motor mounts and drive shaft all loose. As a former small engine mechanic I have seen similar issues before. Put it all back together. It runs ok same as before. But still has a knock sounds like another rebuild in my future. Anyone know of a good rebuildable small base 14 hp Kohler? Maybe
i'll just use strait 50 wt instead of the 5w30 Amsoil I have now.:shrug::shrug::laugh:

I had chevy caprice that had a worn out 305 in it and was knocking bad.I drained the oil and used 80-90 weight gear oil LOL.The car lasted another year afterwards LOL

I had chevy caprice that had a worn out 305 in it and was knocking bad.I drained the oil and used 80-90 weight gear oil LOL.The car lasted another year afterwards LOL

Most 305's I worked on had issues with a soft cam where the lobes would go flat and valves would start a knockin. Mother in law had one I would always use 10 w 40 Havoline and we had no troubles. Our 71 Monte Carlo had a 350 we mildly built for midrange power and I'd use 20w 50 in it because most lighter oils would thin out too much at operating temp. Always kept 30 lbs oil pressure idling at 650 rpm & 190 degrees water temp. It would go up to over 80 lbs at 100 mph & 3500 rpm. Right when the hp would start to fall off. Did I mention I did a little street raceing in my late teens to mid 20's. Nothing organized or official but I didn't loose many and no accidents.

Back