Newtronics wiring CKT-yam4

drewpy

Excess twin
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a question that Mr google can't answer!

I have been given a newtronics electronic ignition module and sensors etc, but need to know where 3 of the four wires go to the coils.

I have a Mave (purple) Yellow and White wires to a terminal (the 4th wire, blue is earth).
the terminal is not standard Yam so am unable to ascertain what goes where.

Anyone have such a system or an old PDFcopy hanging around? the current newtronics website doesn't have them listed for the xs400/250.

cheers bigears
drewps

do you still need the coils with the newtronic ignition? normaly no coils are needed, even with mechanical steered electronic ignitions. salute from hannes

Drewpy, I don't have a answer to your question I'm afraid but I can confirm that you have the right kit for the XS400. I emailed Newtronic last year asking if they were going to do a kit for the XS400 and they replied that it would be out in June (2010) and called CKT-Yam4. Try sending them an email (like you've not already thought of that, lol).

Looking at the wiring diagrams for the other Yam units they still seem to retain the coils.

thinking about it, one will be the feed, the other two the "interuption" to fire the coils. maybe they used the same config with the 650 module!

Some folks in our forum use the "helotronik-ignition".You need two of them,one is 60€,works superb, easy to install and no coils needed. It is even upgradable to contact-less-ignition. Just an input! Greets from Munich Hannes

ps:http://www.helotronik.de/

they look the same kit you get from Maplins, much too big as you need 2.

I have written to the current owners as I'm sure they'll have a pdf copy on their harddrive

Drewpy,
have you installed this kit yet?
I think it will be a nice upgrade, although adjusting the breaker points with Haynes in one hand, a screwdriver in the other and a flashlight between the teeth has its charm ;)

And your red XS beautybike, does it have points or electronic ignition?
Still can't find the CKT-yam4 kit for sale after a search :(

the timing is set as per normal as if you have points.

Its obvious where the slots go whic does what.

You would need a zenon timing light, which you can get off eBay cheaply enough.

Newtronic_ignition_kit

looks these kits are available again...:wink2:

The question is: Pamco or Newtronic?

the pamco is all within the contacts area, which would be the main benefit in keeping the bike unluttered if you modding it.

with my blower setup, I need to think very carfully on the ignition side and may have to go Pazon for programmable ignition curves

Drewpy, I was talking with a few road race fellas the other day. Seems the goto programmable ignitions for older machines is HPI right now. Not cheap, but they have so many options. I may make the move to one. The self contained generator for the ignition almost sells itself.

The HPI setups look pretty nice, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like they make a setup for the XS400. And ideas for a workaround?

Back