NO headlight or brake light

dangolang

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody names Dan still kinda new here mainly been reading previouse threads and learning about my bike. I got a 1980 xs400 special from a buddy of mine for $100. it didnt take much to get her running but it has been hair pulling getting it to a good overall working condition . I ll post up some picks later.My question is what would cause the head light and brake light not to come on while the bike is running? i have checked all the obviouse thing and was able to use a jumper wire and got the head light on but i cant seem to get the taillight to come on . both are reciving power and all grounds are freshly cleaned and tight. Any insight would be extreamly helpfull.

If they are both receiving power and grounded they should work. Is it the whole tail light system that doesn't work, or just the brake light. Where did you use the jumper wire from and to? Did you try new fuses, because I believe the tail light and head light use the same fuse? Also, the fuse box connections tend to disintegrate and not hold the fuses tight enough to complete the circuit.

Its just the running light the brake light (front & rear) both come on when used. i used the jumper on the relay under the front of the gas tank. doing that i was able to have a headlight but there was still no running light on the tail light. i just built a new fuse panel bc the old one was giving me headaches and was like you said was starting to disintegrate so i did away with it and bought a new fuse panel that uses the blade fuses.

You probably have a faulty relay switch, which effects the front headlight, you can replace it or bypass it with a switch. But it shouldn't have any effect on the rear, that should come on as soon as you turn the ignition. Assuming that the tail light bulb is OK, test the circuit with a continuity test, starting at the bulb holder and then working you way back. Check out the wiring diagram that isigt post in the earlier thread about signal help. If I'm reading it correctly the blue, L, wire is the power wire you need to follow.

sounds good. thanks you very much. for the past couple of days all i have been doing is wiring. I believe i just needed an outside source for a change ya know? again thank you

Back