No one can solve this problem

Riddellw1

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I drive my bike, and it randomly shuts off.

NO sputter, NO loss of fuel, all it is, is an IMMEDIATE shut off that happens 100% randomly.
I can go days without it turning off out of nowhere, and then it'll just turn off again.

The things that I've done to take a look, I'VE LOOKED AT THE FUSE BOX, A MILLION TIMES, one of the connectors wasn't properly crimmped, so I went out and bought a new female end, put the wire in, crimmped it, and the even soldered it, THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.
Which fuse would be causing this problem? If it is the fuse causing the problem? There's four of them, it's an aftermarket fuse box, but it's the same layout.

I would by-pass the fuse box and ignition switch temporaliy.

run a switched/fused line from the positive battery to the red/white of the coils under the tank run it for a bit and if its ok, then either ignition switch or your fuses!

Have you started the bike and then methodically started moving wires around while it is running to see if you can get it to die?

With my luck this is just coincidental, but I just found out that if I push down on the fuse that controls ignition, the bike dies. What do I do?:shrug:

i dont believe in coincidences. If the fuse is good and all the connections are solid and not corroded, another possibility is a wire corroded inside its insulation. Replace wires.

I know you said it had no loss of fuel, but all I'm saying is I had a truck that used to do that and someone had put a little cardboard points box down in the gas tank and out of nowhere it would just die. The debris would get sucked to the pickup tube and just die, and after it died the debris would move around and I could go on my way. Pulled the tank found the debris and cleaned it out and I have been trouble free for a few years now. Could be something weird like that maybe.

Back