No spark. Need help!

dat_boi_400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi so I’m new here but I’m pretty comfortable working on bikes. So I’ve had a 1982 xs400s for a while now but just got around to fixing it up. Around this same time last year it was running. However, today I went to get it running and I have no spark. My battery is fully charged and all my lights and accessories turn on and are nice and bright. But when I checked the coil I’m not even getting power to the coil. I unplugged the coil from the harness and checked the plug with a multimeter and it’s reading 0 volts. Could it be my points? Condenser? Tci? Any helps appreciated

Keep working your way back in the electrical system until you find where the break down is. If the next item back in the system is getting what it needs to do its job and it's not putting out what it should be to the coils, double check those connections and if it still isn't working then that item needs to be replaced. It's a process that you can use your electrical schematic for, and it works every-time, 90% of the time.

Keep working your way back in the electrical system until you find where the break down is. If the next item back in the system is getting what it needs to do its job and it's not putting out what it should be to the coils, double check those connections and if it still isn't working then that item needs to be replaced. It's a process that you can use your electrical schematic for, and it works every-time, 90% of the time.
What comes before the coils if you don’t mind me asking. Wirings not exactly my forte

On your bike I believe it is the ignitor module.
I’ll see if I can take a pic of the schematic in my Haynes manual.
What year and serial number prefix is it?

It’s an 82 and the prefix is 14v I think. I appreciate the help

Both wires, R/W and Gy go back to your T.C.I. Unit.
E728B5F6-95CF-4E6B-854A-A858B124B491.jpeg

I managed to find a Haynes manual on Kijiji for 15 bucks. It’s like new, had never been used. Let me know if you need any other diagrams. It has the chapter 7 supplement for all the newer models as well.

Back