No spark on my 82; xs400sh

deVries

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I tried to start my bike after completely rewiring it.
But when I try to kickstart it, I don't get a spark. (no electric start)
I used the wiring diagram on this forum
HTML:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=78311&postcount=59
I have been able to start it without the startmotor and what not before the rewiring.
I know for a fact that I attached everything the way it should.
But I am not sure about 1 thing.
I have no kickstand safetyrelay that could interfere, but I do have the neutral switch safety relay (skyblue wire). Since my neutral light doesn't seem to be working, although the bike is in neutral I suspect that is the problem. How do I know if my relay is not wired correctly and would it matter?
Is there a way to eliminate it?
Thanks

I think I remember some of those safety relays working opposite the way one would assume intuitively. That is, when they engage they actually open/break a circuit rather than connecting/forming one.

Your neutral sensor circuit must be working for the motorcycle to start with a normal wiring harness. My old 1978 with just a kickstart will only start in neutral and it has no other sensors of any kind (no sidestand, no clutch, etc).

Do you still have a "safety relay" hooked up as it is in the diagram?

I do have the safety relay still hooked up.
I haven't got the clutch sensor either.
I'm worried though, since my neutral light isn't on (the light is ok, checked that) and the bike is in neutral.

Could be a simple as a ground. I know on the stock harness there are two, one for the battery and one for the harness. If the harness one is not hooked up the light will not work. But with a custom made harness:confused:

that was my thought as well chris, but deVries pm'd me about this issue earlier and he told me he properly grounded his wiring harness. Any other thoughts?

Could also be a disconnected TCI module, right?

Are you getting any voltage reading towards the module? if yes, how about anything to your coils? I would just start tracing every circuit in your ignition wiring until you find the 'hole'

Back