Not enough fuel?

boomer91

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello friends, I have an issue with my scoot...I took the carbs off to replace the leaky carb boots. While I had the carbs out I just did a good once over with carb clean on the intake ports and butterflies. Got her all put back together and now she doesnt want to run without the choke all the way on. I'm wondering if the fuel bowls are not getting enough fuel or are not full to begin with. I ran the bike for a little while with the petcock turned to vertically and the choke on in hopes to fill the bowls but once i turn the choke off it dies. Also when I rev it while full choke it pops alittle like its running lean. I never took and thing off the carbs so im not sure why im having issues. Anybody know what the problem could be? Thanks

No, nothing special. Odds are when you took it apart (assuming you didn't touch anything related to settings) that you disturbed something (debris) and the pilot circuit is blocked now. The carb cleaner you sprayed may have loosened up a bunch of junk.

Take the carbs off and disassemble them. Do a quick cleaning. Focus on the pilot circuit. Install an in-line fuel filter if you don't already have one.

My video thread:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12330

Willem's how-to collection:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10715

Just squirting assembled carbs isn't cleaning. That just gets the crud off the outside. You need to do as bcware recommends, do a tear down, clean, inspect, fix what the inspection finds, reassemble, adjust.
Leo

Incidentally, can you reassemble a carb with a used gasket? Like, open it up and then put it back together and rely on the bowl sealing properly?

If the gaskets are hard and not pliable your better off to replace them.

The gasket and the float needle and a few other parts are real cheap and readily available. I'd replace them just because. Just don't disturb the gasket until you're ready to swap it out. The old ones can be delicate; if it breaks/tears it could put you out of commission until the new one comes in.

On my '78 the replacement float bowl gaskets need to have a tiny piece trimmed for them to fit. If your carbs are the same way you'll have the same problem; it's normal.

I found my problem....the vac tubing from the carb to the tank kept getting pulled off when I put the tank on. Thanks for all the responses, but it was just a retarded mistake on my part lol

Back