Nuetral and 5th shift problems

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on why my trans is difficult to shift into nuetral?I read that this is a common problem with this bike wether or not this is the truth for the majority or a few but its definately true for mine.Does also have a problem shifting into 5th up shifting from 4th also.Im running Rotella T Jaso MA certified oil as of now but oil doesnt seem to matter except when I added a quart of synthetic oil to the mix.Is there a simple fix for this problem like maybe the shifting fork or is a big possibility the gears are worn?

If it's difficult shifting from 2nd into neutral while you are coasting then something is wrong. If it is difficult to shift from 1st to neutral when you're stopped, it's normal.

Don't know about your 4th to 5th issue. Why not use some of the synthetic Rotella that is MA certified if that cures it? That's a cheaper fix than trying to take it apart and ending up needing a new transmission (which would be my result at least :laugh: ).

Definately from 1 up to nuetral is a problem or 2cnd down to nuetral.
rolling or sitting still? If it's just when you're sitting still, I wouldn't worry.
Have you checked the amount of slack in your clutch cable. If mine gets a hair more loose than it is supposed to be, I have trouble with all gears.

Excerpt from www.MikesXS.com
20 Question-- Why is it hard to get my bike in gear or to find neutral?
Answer --
1. Clutch Not adjusted properly at engine.
2. Worn Clutch push screw parts.
3. Needle bearing between clutch hubs is worn. (Very noticeable when engine is hot as neutral is difficult to find and clutch does not fully release).
4. Cable worn, improperly routed or not lubricated.

Thanks for looking this up. I don't usually end up in traffic, but being behind 15 vehicles or so, at a flashing red light made it a a definite problem. I did start looking up yesterday, but I didn't get anywhere. At one point, while the clutch was pulled, the bike was still pulling forward. Now off to look up "Needle bearing between clutch hubs" I am betting "Needle bearing is for the XS650"
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS650SH/CLUTCH/parts.html
Part 3, is definitely for the XS650. All we got is a "washer Plate 90201-25291-00.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS400SH/CLUTCH/parts.html
Our bike (mine anyways) Shows a Washer Plate as part 3. Does the same job as the the above XS650.

So that kills Answer 3. so 1, 2, or 4. Let us know what you come up with. It might be in the manual. My weekend is Tuesdays and Wednesday, I have seen countless remarks on adj the clutch at the handlebars, and if you have too, behind the black rubber circle on the left side the case. I did just replace the Clutch Springs, and plates, (not the metal plates).

Now that you mention it, going from 5 to 6, occasionally it will slip into limbo, no gear, Then I repeat the action to shift to 6th, and it goes in. (do I have weak ankles?)

I am hoping there is nothing wrong with the gear selector. or the Forks. So I am going to worry about all that till Tuesday, or till someone comes up with a excellent fix! Thanks! Tobie

I wonder if there is specs for that to be worn out? washer Plate 90201-25291-00 if we are suppose to replace that part if your doing a clutch job? or if has a specs like the clutch plates?
I think I bought an extra one incase the PO might have confused the shim for the washer? I think I still got my new one still. I think I am going to try 1,2, or 4, and the manual.. Something to think about.

Mine had a brand new cable installed last year. I looked at the engine side of the cable and it didn't look adjustable. It must be internal?

I have seen postings to pull out that rubber thing, but everyone says do the adjustments at the handle bars first. I am out of time for looking that up, Good luck Let us know what you end up doing.

I know when Im in 4th its almost like I have double clutch just to get into to go in 5th.Doesnt do it every time but Id say about every 5th to 10th time.Maybe I need strong boots IDK.
To Answer Lous question its usualy when the bike is sitting still like after I come back for ride. and go to park.This happens probaly 90% of the time its realy difficult I have to upshift and down shift several times before it will finaly go into nuetral.Sometimes it wont go at all with the engine running.Also I did notice the clutch cable where it goes into the engine its kinda loose.It doesnt leak alot of oil there yet knock on wood

Its a normal thing once that seal ontop of the engine gets wore for it to leak oil.Mine leaks a smalll minor amount doesnt even make a drop on the ground.Not sure but you maybe able to smear some cylicone around the cable where it goes into the engine to get to stop as a quick easy fix.

You wouldnt notice the push rod seal unless the side cover is off.If its leaking with the side cover on then its the gasket.You can get gasket material at local autoparts store and make the gasket.Its pretty easy to make.I very seldom if ever buy gaskets,if I can trace it I can make it.I have been doing this for years.Being an auto mechanic that can adjust valves on a V* or V6 but not on 2 cyclinder motorcycle LOL I have put together entire engines except the head gasket using silicone or making my own out of gasket material.

Hey guys Im also wondering if the chain and sprockets are extremely worn would this cause the shift problems I having between 4 and 5th or not?

Back