Nuetral and 5th shift problems

Sheesh did you guys go crazy posting responces on this thread.So Im tryiing to play catch up here.Its brought up about adjusting the clutch is this a possible or probibal cause for the shifting problems I brought up?Also if so If you remove the clutch cover you are going to lose oil and if so how much?I also ass ume we have to put our bikes on the center stand to do this.

Nope,I just finished exploring. I was able to pull out the rubber plug with my finger tips. I took some fotos, I will publish in a bit. I found out my clutch lining was being pulled out, and jamming up in the clutch handle. So does that mean I need a new clutch line? FYI- I used a 12mm deepwell socket, with a Phillips screwdrivers. More coming

So No oil behind there. Its the left side rear cover, over the drive sprocket. Nothing their but dirt, grease, and some oil. I didn't take that cover off. on the 80-81 there is a rubber circle (plug) pull that off with your finger tips, and you will see the lock nut, and screw-in with Phillips head driver. When I went to part 2 of the instructions, I found out the inside cable lining was being pulled out with ratchet like efficiency So I used a razor to cut that lining in half, and ratchet a little more, till it all came out. It was not going to stop coming out. I was hoping to melt it a little bit,to see if it would hold up. It didn't.

Now that I have removed the inside cable lining, should I replace the whole clutch cable cause of this? Will this solution only be good for a year, or 2? Thanks

And I would think a new cable would last more than a year. I have all new cables on mine installed last year & they're still tip shape.

Okay I have the Pics.
So, I had already pulled off the cap with my finger tips. Underneath I found the Lock-nut, and screw bolt for adjusting the Clutch.
I used a 12mm Deep-well socket to set the nut, while I held the screw in position with the screwdriver.
Then I put the plug back. I suspect the 2 screws is for the older systems.
When I got to the top clutch handle, I found that the inside clutch cable had a lining, and it was being pulled out by a ratcheting effect of the normal clutching activities. so that means, if the pic turned out any good, the gray matter stuck in the handle zone, is extra I started cutting it out, then re-built it again, only to find out that no matter what I did, the gray covering was going to be pulled out. So I continued to remove it.

Now that its put back together, I can feel the spring effect, It seems to be a totally different feel for clutching. Now I wonder if the overheat symptoms where more to do with the clutch handle being fouled, or not. Perhaps Tomorrow I will find somewhere to get her to overheat.

You can see the gray thing being fouled up, and then next shot was the longest length of it that I cut out.

I followed the manual explicitly, I had printed out the segment I had copied into this posting earlier, and read/re-read it, till I knew I did right. (what I am trying to say, Use the manual, as well as google)

Attachments

• P06-18-13_13.33.jpg
    P06-18-13_13.33.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 499
  • P06-18-13_13.45.jpg
    P06-18-13_13.45.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 480
  • P06-18-13_13.50.jpg
    P06-18-13_13.50.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 503
  • P06-18-13_17.52.jpg
    P06-18-13_17.52.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 482
It took us 50 postings, but I think we got it. I am going to blame the gray inside cable lining for jacking up my ability to get to neutral. I am sorry Missed the Center stand, Yes, I used my center stand.

Now the question is? Does this fix the 5th gear issue? 2 of us have the limbo gear? In my short 10 to 15 mile Open road driving, I didn't have any trouble with selecting gears. I had my step daughter, and my self on the bike, for a grand total of 300lbs. I am slight over 200lbs :) ;)

While on my ride earlier I missed 5th while shifting.See what the day brings tomorrow I`m going to try and acess that spot and adjust it to see what happenes.Thing is if the clutch is out of adjustment you wouldnt have random missed 5th gear problems it would be in all gears.

l hear what your saying, I am hoping not to have to open up the bottom end again. I know the forks are slender, and easily out of shape. I have not been able to put more than 15 miles since I have done the adjustment. I have been riding the storm out, Hind sight being 20/20 i could have rode it today. Supposedly there will be 3 more days of these crazy storms. This is my first post from home after the last power outage. I hope anyone else experiencing these storms, take it easy.

By what information I can gather, a lot of the shifting issues we're having are the bike not the clutch or gear box. These bikes are just known for these problems and they shift horribly. I got mine adjusted to where its decent and that's about the best you can hope for on an xs400.

I have read the samething Bizzy like I mentioned earlier its just an xs400 quirk we have to live with.That said I know my clutch is out of adjustment.If I can find some shade Im going to dig into that plug on the side of the engine today.

I adjusted my clutch and although my bike shifts 90% better,Nuetral and 5th gear is still a problem.Nuetral when I shift down from 2cnd it always seem to miss nuetral the same when upshifting from 1st it wil skip nuetral and go to 3rd.If I tap the shifting lever very lightly sometimes it will go in the proper gear

Back