Obligatory first post!

Sauerkraut

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys been lurking for a while and decided I should finally join the discussion,

Im a 22 year old student currently traveling around southeast Asia, I recently just completed a ride from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh city on a very small, very slow, very unreliable 100cc Honda Win but as big of a pain in the ass that bike was, I was hooked.

I have been contemplating getting a vintage bike for about a year now and occasionally browsing my local classifieds back home in Canada, a few weeks ago I came across a great deal and had my father go pick this 81 special up for me while im away. This is my first bike however I am not new to wrenching or forums, Ive built a few cars in the past (big VW Audi guy) but decided it was time to try something new, ive learnt a great amount of info from this site already and look forward to contributing!

My plans are to get this thing up to spec and start simplifying anything I can, to make a fun little weekend rider (cafe/brat style). Ive acquired 2 new BS34 carbs that are ready to go on which should have her running half decent.

for interests sake ive attached a picture of my MK4 Jetta and the bike!

Attachments

• unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 155
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 159
Welcome,

I'm also a VW person, but I stick with Mk3s and older, currently have a Mk1 Jetta with a 16v.

Looks like the bike is ready to go after you get a seat lol.

Does that bike have a 2-1 carb setup using a copper pipe? I looks like a bike that another member from here had a long while back. Looks like the bike has had some "work" done to it.:doh: Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the site! I'm pretty new as well, but so far it's a great community. Also love the forum interface, it's one of the best I've ever used.

Does that bike have a 2-1 carb setup using a copper pipe? I looks like a bike that another member from here had a long while back. Looks like the bike has had some "work" done to it.:doh: Welcome to the forum.

The previous owner had it running on one carb at one point just to see if it would run, however ive bought all new carbs and am going to rip everything apart! Nothing worse than taking on someones old project with a thousand loose ends.

Back