Of carb boots and performance

shamus

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Quick question. I've noticed a lot of builds where the carb boots have been eliminated. Were they just necessary as an extension to the air boxes and a connection point so that the engine breather could also be filtered with the same system? My plan is pods right to the carbs and a separate breather filter, but does removing the boots alter the performance of the engine? It doesn't seem like it would, but I could also see the benefit of having a shared intake of both carbs to compensate for any airflow problems.

I have done both on my tracker and no tube seem to have a bit more low end punch where with tubes seems to have better mid and high punch. Plus having the tubes hooked up to the breather helps get any extra blow by gases out of the trans with a vacuum. Tuning seems a little harder without tubes:shrug: I should mention that I have a 2-1 exhaust on my tracker where a 2-2 might work different.

Never even thought about the vacuum being a benefit for excess gases. I will guess I'll try it both ways since its easy enough to change. Thanks, Chris! You are at the receiving end of all my questions as of late. Appreciate it.

Back