Offset rear sprocket

Ed51

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, new here,and have a question that I hope the xs400 experts can answer. Did the later models, 81-82, come with a rear sprocket that was offset a little. Every bit of info that I can find lists the same type of sprocket fitting all years, just with varying number of teeth. The part numbers are the same 77 thru 80, but changes in 81, can this be the offset sprocket I need. Thanks in advance for any help. Ed.

Just a shot in the dark here- before '80, rear wheels were 18" and the stock tire was a 3.5x18 (100/90- 18). In 1980, the rear wheels went down to 16", but the tire went to 120/90-16 which is (obviously) 20mm wider, almost an inch. There may very well be a difference in sprocket offset, but more likely a spacer behind the sprocket and the shape of the machining on the sprocket may be different to accommodate the spacer.....but again, while I know pre-1980 well, I am speculating a bit about the 1980 and after.

Ok, found out that my information was incorrect, no offset sprocket was made for the xs400. Went through the JT catalog this morning and they all appear to be the same. Thanks for the replies.

Hi Guys, new here,and have a question that I hope the xs400 experts can answer. Did the later models, 81-82, come with a rear sprocket that was offset a little. Every bit of info that I can find lists the same type of sprocket fitting all years, just with varying number of teeth. The part numbers are the same 77 thru 80, but changes in 81, can this be the offset sprocket I need. Thanks in advance for any help. Ed.
Just changed out the sprocket from my parts bike to the rider. No reliable history on either but both are '81 XS400's and the better sprocket has an odd look to it. All rear sprockets I've ever paid any attention to are flat - like they were cut from a plate of steel. But the one I just put on seems to be machined [lathe turned?] so the teeth stand a touch farther out from the center-line of wheel than the flat one I took off.
Anybody know why, or if I need to spring for a new one? The back - hidden - sides of both are machined the same, recessed to fit onto the hub bolts properly.
Haven't ridden it - the project isn't cinched down and cotter-pinned yet but I saw this thread and thought I'd ask.

Back