Oil Consumption. How Much is Too Much?

JARichmond

XSively Addicted
Reaction score
Hi all

Just changed my oil last week and noticed that my oil level was very low. In fact, the oil light came on the day before. Before warming up the bike, I added a liter and ran it for a few minutes to let it drain faster. When I measured my old oil, I noticed that only a liter came out (and it was jet black). Which leads me to the question: Where is all of my oil going?

How much do you guys get out from a change, and what can I do to curb my engine's thirst?

I would have to clean up my engine and subsequent panels to get a good idea if there's a place that it's coming out of. I've had it in storage all winter without any leaks or stains, so it makes me think that it's something that is only happening when the engine is running.
Do you have a method/product that you use to clean up your engine and panels?

These bikes will use some oil. A quart every 1500 miles is not too bad. Check compression and look for blue smoke on start up. That will tell you if the rings are bad. Do you check the oil level in the bike often? You should check before every ride and or sitting a while. Keep it full :wink2:

Seems there's no smoke on start up, and Chris's numbers seems to match up pretty well with what I've experienced. I put about 3000 miles on it last summer, which would be a good approximation of the 2 quarts of oil that I consumed. A good practice for me should be to add about a quart/liter of oil about half way through the season. I'll also start checking my oil a bit more frequently. It's a bit of a pain since I have a sight-glass and have to get it up on the center-stand to take an accurate reading. Nevertheless, I'd rather have a working engine!

You should be checking the oil level with every tank of gas. And the tire pressures. And the lights. And lubing the chain every other tank - more often if you ride in the rain.

There is nothing "maintenance free" about a 30+ year old vehicle!

You may want to change to oil and filter every 1000 miles if it coming out very black:wink2: The earlier (77-79) sohc xs400 used a dipstick. The 76-77 xs360 used the same. I would look for one of those as it will make it much easier to check.

These bikes will use some oil. A quart every 1500 miles is not too bad. Check compression and look for blue smoke on start up. That will tell you if the rings are bad. Do you check the oil level in the bike often? You should check before every ride and or sitting a while. Keep it full :wink2:
Yup that's about what mine used

Back