Oil in airbox?

Johnny Gobbs

XS400 Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello everyone,
My name is John and I'm a new member here and I have a question about my '79 xs400...
Yesterday when I started the bike a noticed oil leaked on the right side, There was no leak prior to starting the bike. I moved the bike from where it was parked to where I started it and both areas were dry. I traced the leak up to the airbox on the right side. The inside of the box was all wet and so was the filter. I have read elsewhere on the forum that it could be the petcock? Does anyone have any answers?
Thanks!

It could be the petcock not stopping the fuel when off. The carbs could be over flowing if the float valves are bad. Is it gas or oil. If it's oil I would check to make sure the case is filled to the proper amount. Also if it is gas make sure the crank case has no gas it in as well. Lots of threads on all these subjects in the forum.

It could be the petcock not stopping the fuel when off. The carbs could be over flowing if the float valves are bad. Is it gas or oil. If it's oil I would check to make sure the case is filled to the proper amount. Also if it is gas make sure the crank case has no gas it in as well. Lots of threads on all these subjects in the forum.
Thanks, as far as I can tell there is no gas in it. there doesn't seem to be any separation. Also the oil level is ok. could it be the oil breather?
I started her up this morning and the was no leaks and the area under the bike is dry. I'm so confused and all this is very new to me.
:umm:

It may be oil from another or old issue. Those filters should be dry and free of oil. So either clean them or if they are starting to fall apart, which looks like it, replace them with new ones.

It may be oil from another or old issue. Those filters should be dry and free of oil. So either clean them or if they are starting to fall apart, which looks like it, replace them with new ones.
I have already ordered new filters! Hopefully tomorrow I can take the carbs apart and clean them and change the oil. Recently the bike had sat for almost two weeks and now I'm wondering if that also has something to do with this.
Thanks again for your help!

Back