oil in stator/some say yes..some say no???

miahlaw

XS400 Member
Reaction score
My right cylinder is firing, and getting fuel, but not running...
So I pulled the stator cover to check time. All the oil ran out of the bike when I pulled it off. I have searched and read thread after thread and half of them say, this is normal, the xs stator runs in oil. While the other half says, this is bad, you need to replace seals or gaskets..
Can some one tell me which it is. I would be happy to share links to the 10 plus threads from this and other forums where its either or with no for sure answer...
All I know is Im having a charging issue as well, and Ive never had a dirtbike dumping oil out of the stator side...so this seems wrong to me. How would it charge?

Attachments

• IMAG0408[1].jpg
    IMAG0408[1].jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 757
If you use the center stand and not the side stand you should only have a spoon full or less of oil to clean up... I had my oil overfilled a little bit and still only a spoon full. there will be oil under the stator case... that's why there is a gasket on the rotor cover, another gasket on the alternator cover behind that and a rubber plug within the alternator for the field coil and stator wires. The starter chain behind the rotor needs to get a bit of oil from the engine as well. A small amount of oil within the rotor and alternator cover is not bad. All of your oil behind there might be. I have seen people swap out dipsticks without thinking and have the oil way to high without knowing, other than that don't use your side stand or the oil will all run to that side, use the center stand. If there is an actual issue behind there causing a leak that shouldn't be happening perhaps another member can weigh in on that.

ok, thanks. I only have a side stand. The bikes been modified quite a bit.
If the oil runs into the stator side, Im assuming it can run back into the case once its upright and not leaned over so far.
Or i guess I need to check some seals?

I would look for a center stand for the bike that you can just put on for working on it and checking the level of oil in it. :wink2:

...half of them say, this is normal, the xs stator runs in oil...

These people are correct.

the other half says, this is bad, you need to replace seals or gaskets...

These people don't know what they are talking about....as to this subject.

Just what gaskets or seals do they suggest replacing? Better yet, try to find someone who has actually replaced these specials seals or gaskets and stopped oil from being in there.

My suggestion- if there's no oil under the stator cover....there's not enough oil in the bike.

I say yes, Absolutely normal. if the directions says to remove oil, then take stuff off, it just might be normal :)

Attachments

• alternator.png
    alternator.png
    16 KB · Views: 636
These people are correct.

These people don't know what they are talking about....as to this subject.

Just what gaskets or seals do they suggest replacing? Better yet, try to find someone who has actually replaced these specials seals or gaskets and stopped oil from being in there.

My suggestion- if there's no oil under the stator cover....there's not enough oil in the bike.

This bikes turning into a real headache...anyway
thanks, here's some of the info I was speaking of....incorrect i now know but thats why i asked here.

these few are answers to people asking the same question about xs400's

"The alternator cover is on the left side of the engine, as you sit on the bike. If it was full of oil, yikes, crank seal, I'd imagine" from yamahaclub forum

"There shouldn't be any oil under the cover so you will need to track down a leak.
The area should be dry so look for a leak." from motorcycleforum.com

But as far as your oil problems, pictures would help in describing the problem. I'm thinking something isn't put on right, or a gasket is leaking, or something of that nature.

"Either way you'll have to fix that oil problem asap. I'm not sure if anyone here on the forum has gone batteryless, but I know of a guy on a XS650 who managed to do it. Not sure if it's worth the effort though, but i'll let you decide on that." from this forum, where someone later said yes there should be oil.

and so on..but now i know, thanks

Do any of these people own an XS400? Have they taken the engine of one apart, put it together and put a bunch of miles on it?

In my case (and the several people above who agree), the answer is "yes".

Yup, infact, that is another reason I spent the time to replace the o-ring on the starter. last year I was getting oil running down, past my clutch rod, (left side) via the Starter compartment. So I have just replaced that o-ring, so I will not have to try to track down one more odd leak. When your starter is out of the bike, you will see a rectangle hole.

(wasn't much, just enough for me to want to clean up, and wonder :wtf: )

There is passengers, that you will never be able to seal up, because your not suppose to. I will take a pic of one tomorrow, unless I find one right away)

I found the pic, Thanks ThePsuedoMonkey
full

This is an excellent photo, as you can see, their is no seal over that hole. knock your self out.:banghead: The rest of us, will be :bike:

Attachments

• stator Oil passengeway.jpg
    stator Oil passengeway.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 735
Back