Oil leak from clutch rod. Help!!

I usually use the screw method for small seals like this with little acces for a seal puller.

Hey I happen to have the exact same problem on my 1983 Maxim. Here's a video I recorded with the issue. You can see how it's leaking oil, plus the rod seems to be bended slightly, doesn't it? Or is that wobble effect coming from a worn out seal?

I've been trying to pull out the push rod without luck. I'm planning to replace the seal but no clue how to take it out either. Any idea how to do the job without opening the crankcase on the right side?

Thanks!

View attachment 38338

I usually use the screw method for small seals like this with little acces for a seal puller.
Thanks! I'll try this technique and share the results. Any tip on how to get the pushrod out without pushing it from the other side? My bike has the 1 piece rod + ball bearing (instead of the ball -rod -ball - rod assembly line from older models ).

Alright, so good news is I managed to take out the seal with the screw technique, thanks for the tips @tstidham :cheers:

Bad news is I got to see what's behind the seal. The pushrod is clearly bended and it has been eating the housing while functioning. Look at how worn out it is in the following video and picture:

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 22.37.11.png

Now I understand why the bike was splitting oil like crazy every time it gets hot. I'd love to pick your brain for possible solutions to this problem. I'm out of ideas on how to solve this. Do you guys think a new rod and new seal would mitigate the leak? I can only see it getting worse again with miles.

I've been trying to take out the rod but it won't come off, the last bit of it is stuck in the housing. Here's another video of me "gently" pulling it trying to get it out.

Any help would be much appreciated :umm:

Last edited:
Back