Oil leak into intake valve - see pictures

wirehairs

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
The bike: 1982 Yamaha Maxim 400. 14K on the clock. So, I had oil leaking into cylinder 1, and fowling the plug within a few minutes to the point where it wasn't igniting the fuel/air mixture. I was surprised, just because it blew 134 & 137 psi early in the restoration, so I didn't expect engine problems. I damaged my Motion Pro leak down tester, so while it was in the mail get fixed, I decided to pull the head, figuring I'd be doing this regardless. Once the exhaust and carbs were pulled, I looked in, and couldn't see any oil on the valve stems (I've got the right part?). Once I pulled the jugs off, I could see the oil by the intake valve of cylinder 1:

vLeMwsIl.jpg

Cylinder 2 is nice and dry:
g4OKW5Pl.jpg

Here's the whole head, with gasket still on:
6oebJ71l.jpg

The gaskets get ripped when pulling things apart, so I'm unclear how I can figure out where the oil leak was. Am I correct is saying that it's not the rings, because then I'd have more oil throughout the head, and it's not leaking valve guides/stems because I couldn't see any oil on them prior to pulling the head, so it's the head-to-cylinder gasket that was leaking?

Well, without any input, I'm going with the assumption that cleaning up the carbon, changing the valve seals, gaskets, and rings will fix any oil leak happening! :)

Back