Oil leak issues

Joel

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bike has been been leaking oil since I bought it a year and a half ago, but it seems to be getting worse. It's coming out somewhere near the front sprocket. It only has a couple drips when it sits for a couple days, so it must be leaking out only while driving. I have to top up the oil every week now. I noticed I could wiggle the clutch seal and oil would start to slowly come out. I replaced that, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I tried running it with the cover off, but couldn't see any leak. I ran it down the road for a minute and popped the cover off, but again, could not see a definite leak point. I hate to just replace parts if you don't know what's broken, buy I'm at the point where I just want to replace any seal that might be causing it. I read in this forum about others having a leak from the electrical gasket just below the front sprocket, so I'll try that one. Any other suggestions?

on my bike I had a nice little leak from the plastic triangle looking thing in there that holds the neutral switch. There is an o-ring on the other side of it. I cracked the body of mine after I replaced the o-ring and had to order a whole new housing (was only like 18 bucks).

but from my experience and reading I would say most our bikes do leak a little :p

Back