Oil leak on the cylinder - what to tighten/do

XS400NJ

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have oil leaking, it looks like it leaks from that bolt under the plug. It is not easy to see in this picture, but there is some fresh oil and it smells burning oil (and the dirt sticks due to that leak).

Could someone suggest what to do. Should I try to tighten that bolt?

Thank you.

Attachments

• oil_leak.jpg
    oil_leak.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 90
Looks like the head gasket. Most guys say to now worry about a slow leak just keep an eye on your oil level. Best to just do a complete upper gasket set if your gonna take the motor apart to fix that one. I'm on my 3rd season with my head gasket seeping. No biggie.

Btw where in NJ are you?

As long as the compression is still good and your not losing a lot of oil don't worry too much about it. Keep the oil full and get your self a gasket set for a winter/future project.

I was hoping to tighten some bolts without taking engine out. This leak although small, stinks... literally..

I am North, Paramus area.

If you start tightening only certain bolts instead of following the proper head torque sequence it may make the leak wore or cause others to appear. If the bike has sat a while just running it may cause the gasket to swell a little and seal a bit better.

Back