Oil leak/sludge under the front sprocket cover

bikeage

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm trying to identify the source of an oil leak coming from the front sprocket cover. I removed the cover only to find this monstrosity and I'm not sure where to begin really. I have a feeling it could be coming from the seal located below the sprocket, but I'm not sure. Also, does anyone know what all the brown sludge could be? It seemed like it had a lot of hair and dirt in it.

Attachments

• IMG_2403.JPG
    IMG_2403.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 648
That's definitely one of the cleaner photos I've seen of that area.
Road sludge, chain lube, motor oil, dust, seeds, take your pick. A bit of everything gets in there.

In that area there's the gear shift seal, clutch push rod seal, main drive seal, stator wire seals, and neutral switch.
Clean the area up and hopefully you'll be able to see fresh oil from the leak.

That's definitely one of the cleaner photos I've seen of that area.
Road sludge, chain lube, motor oil, dust, seeds, take your pick. A bit of everything gets in there.

In that area there's the gear shift seal, clutch push rod seal, main drive seal, stator wire seals, and neutral switch.
Clean the area up and hopefully you'll be able to see fresh oil from the leak.

Thank you. Good to know it's not as bad as I thought.

Yep I cleaned one today that looked way worse............it even left marks on the garage floor where it was sitting............

I agree that looks pretty clean!

I would also replace you chain and maybe sprockets while your at it. If you have any rust on a chain your looking for trouble.

I would also replace you chain and maybe sprockets while your at it. If you have any rust on a chain your looking for trouble.

I was actually thinking about doing this as well since I have it opened up, and yes there is rust on the chain too. Bit of a noob question, but how would I go about removing the sprocket with the bent washer behind it?

A large flat head screw driver or something like that. Get or download a manual from this site or buy a haynes manual. Make sure all the nuts get torqued to the proper specs when you replace them.

as xs chris said - use an old screwdriver and hammer to knock the washer flat - not a good screwdriver - you will ruin the end - its probably easier if you just get the bent part away from the nut and then use a large set of grips to flatten the washer.
once the washer is flat you remove the nut with a decent socket but it will spin so you can either use an impact wrench which will probably shock the nut loose or put the bike in gear,get someone to stand on the rear brake and attack the nut again - this will probably work

Theres also that clutch pushrod seal that is notorious for leaking.. Ive lost a lot of oil from this one before I replaced it lol.

Thank you everyone. I believe the source of the leak is a broken o ring behind the neutral switch. I have ordered a replacement part and will see if that works.

Attachments

• IMG_2405.JPG
    IMG_2405.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 385
On all my bike it's the only part other than the stator grommet that has leaked.

Back