Oil leak under points cover choking out engine

shoop1982

NEW TO XS400
Reaction score
Good afternoon to all of you!
I am writing this post since I have recently run into a problem with 1979 xs400. I have noticed an oil leak under the cover of the points on the left side of the bike. Also, I have an issue with keeping the bike running. She only runs from cold...once she warms up....she dies out and cant get her running until she cools down again.... I am assuming this is probably due to the bike warming up and spitting oil into the cover. The other day I started the bike up...drove around the block a few times...let it idle for about 5 minutes and then THE BIKE DIED!!!

I pulled the cover off and there was about a half cup of oil in the cap that dropped to the ground.

Before I start ripping this apart....anyone know where I should look for seals?
Are they behind the timing plate and points?

If i dont have to take apart that area It would be easier since i dont have tools to adjust timing.

If you know anything like if there are seals back there or if it is a top end gasket that is leaking...please let me know

Your help is much appreciated!
Mike

I will try the yamalube. To the plugs on the side first...then I might have to try that if it doesn't work and I still have a leak...thanks

Attachments

• IMAG1410.jpg
    IMAG1410.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 345
  • IMAG1411.jpg
    IMAG1411.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 334
Yes, I use it on the outsides of all oil seals. Only put a little on and spread it around with your finger. You really only need a very thin coating, any more and it just squishes out and in the engine.

I use regular black RTV.

Last edited:
You have to remove the rocker cover to put a new cam shaft seal on. I would replace those points :wink2: That is a lot of oil to be leaking from rocker shaft plugs. My guess is cam shaft seal. Use yamabond-4 it's much better than auto RTV sealants. It is made for bikes. Only use a little on the box cover. There are threads in the forum on this.

Back