Oil leak

Forward_pack

1981 xs400H
Reaction score
ing have an 81 xs400h and I found an oil leak. I was trying get to get the bikes idle adjusted do that I could do a dynamic adjustment of the carbs and the bike started to smoke. Upon looking I saw oil leaking under the bike. I cleaned everything off and started the bike again and started looking for the leak. I found oil leaking from the breaker cover on the left side of the bike.

Parts website don't show a gasket that needs to be there they've been wrong before. Are they wrong again? I tightened the one screw I can get to all the way but other then that I'm kinda lost.

Thanks in advanced for any help or insight.
Have a good one and ride safe

It's the small cover above the left spark plug? If so, the things that leak there are the cam seal or the rocker shafts plugs. You need to remove that cover to be able to fix them. If you still have the metal blind plug on the right cover screw you need to drill out the plug to get to the screw. Just be careful not to damage the screw. After that what I would do is pull the rubber shaft plugs out clean them and use a bit of yamabond-4 around them and put them back is as new ones are no longer around. If that doesn't fix the leak you need a cam seal. There are threads on this in the forum and also in the manual.

Thank you good sir. I started drilling last night and found that there was no space between the blind plug and the screw and did get into the screw so I need an easy out kit for that.

I did a thread or two but they didnt seem to clear about what exactly needed to be done. Your explanation was much better. Thank you

Back