Oil Pickup Screen Cover Gasket

Luke M

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking for an oil pickup screen gasket for a 1978 XS400. Are these sold anywhere? As of now I used orange RTV to seal the cover, does anyone advise against this or would I be ok using RTV instead of a gasket?

Thank you,
Luke

I would go down to a good hardware store (Ace) and buy some gasket paper and make one. Use the cover for a guide. Trace around it, cut it out and use a hole punch for the bolt holes. It'll cost less then buying one and can be re-used for years to come. It's also a neater job than RTV.

I have had my XS3600 for over 25 years. I got used in 1987. It has over 25,000 miles on it. I had never changed the oil strainer but I do change the oil every 1000 miles. This year I changed the strainer and it was full of sludge. Now I will change the oil strainer ever year. You can get a used strainer AND a new gasket from fleabay for about $25.00. If you blow you engine you would wish you have paid the $25.00.

The strainer goes UP and the "feet" go down.

What you decide to do, don’t screw the bolts to tight or you will strip the threads. Clean the cover really good. The gasket won’t drip if you use just a LITTLE torque.

My motor does not use any oil and it does not drip.

My 2 cents. Robert

I also use gasket paper for making gaskets,like Houghmade said,you can get a lot of gaskets from a roll that sells for cheap.I've had one roll for about 5 years and it's almost a full roll. You can even get different thicknesses.I've made all kinds of gaskets on my truck,tractor,and my bikes. lha

Rtv is not a good gasket,as the part that squishes out over the sides gets caught in the oil passages,and everywhere else the oil goes.I have washed ATV from the oil screen from cars that had an oil light coming on.I pulled the oil pan,and on cleaning the screen,it was covered with bits of silicon.I removed the screen,cleaned it,put it back together,and full oil pressure. lha

I would go down to a good hardware store (Ace) and buy some gasket paper and make one. Use the cover for a guide. Trace around it, cut it out and use a hole punch for the bolt holes. It'll cost less then buying one and can be re-used for years to come. It's also a neater job than RTV.

I agree. Works great. Someone should have templates to printout and trace somewhere. Maybe it's been done. This would be resized so the longer-lengthwise is exactly 4 inches.

DSC00663.jpg

I agree. Works great. Someone should have templates to printout and trace somewhere. Maybe it's been done. This would be resized so the longer-lengthwise is exactly 4 inches.

DSC00663.jpg

That's a great idea! We should start a thread with a database of various gaskets sorted by year. You could put the gasket on a 8.5x11 piece of paper and make a flat photocopy/scan of it at 100% to maintain perspective.

where's CAd when you need him :)

Thats what i do for a living, if someone wants to provide me with dimensions i could do a quick drawing it wouldnt take much at all. Heck mabye we could even get a library of them started on here.:thumbsup:

Thats what i do for a living, if someone wants to provide me with dimensions i could do a quick drawing it wouldnt take much at all. Heck mabye we could even get a library of them started on here.:thumbsup:

great idea, save as PDF to keep the dimensions

Problem solved. I scanned the oil pickup screen cover. If you print out the following you can cut the image and inside out and use the mating surface as a template in order to make a gasket on gasket paper. I added the ruler to insure that the proportions were correct, please check this against your own ruler to ensure that the dimensions are correct. The screen cover is exactly 4" across the long end. I hope this helps someone.

Scan.jpg

Last edited:
another way maybe, have a line drawing pdf and use your printer to put the image on the gasket paper!

Back