1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil Site Glass removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Youlost, Jun 22, 2023.

1. Youlost

Youlost XS400 Member

I picked up a spare side clutch cover and was wanting to remove the oil site glass before I bring it to the powder coaters. It seems to be in there pretty well, any ideas on how to get out? I'm most likely going to order a new one so not super concerned if this one gets damaged.

2. CaptChrome

CaptChrome XS400 Addict Top Contributor

It is just pressed in there. I might try to use a small wood dowel as a drift and a small hammer to carefully tap around the edges to see if it will move.

3. Youlost

Youlost XS400 Member

Does it come out the front?

4. CaptChrome

It is installed from the inside of the cover. So, you would carefully tap on the outside to drive the sight glass inside. A bit of tape on the window wouldn't hurt before you put the wood dowel on it.

5. Youlost

Youlost XS400 Member

I ended up getting this out but it installs from the outside of the cover btw....

6. CaptChrome

Sorry about that, maybe I was thinking about one of my old outboards. Anyway, it is good you got it out, and thanks for setting the record straight.