OMG, another headlight post!

Rambo814

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, my headlight is burned out and I've been searching for a replacement. I kind of want to keep original mounting for now, as in I really don't want a bottom mount and don't want to have to re-route all those crazy wires outside the bucket somewhere. I have seen a couple places, and even Drewpy, say that Honda 400's have the same size headlight. I was wondering if the buckets were even close enough to just buy a Honda replacement unit from ebay and be able to pretty much throw it right on. This is what I have found and really like, not to mention it's pretty cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/32112996784...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=321129967842&_rdc=1 :confused:

I use an H4 headlight from a Harley that I found at a swap meet for $20 - and it was nearly new and included the bulb! I later installed a bi-xenon HID kit to reduce power consumption (35 W) and increase light output. I am very happy with the results!

Definitely get Bi-xenon so you have HID for both low and high beams. A Halogen high beam sucks compared to the HID low beam. The kit I got has a single HID that moves to adjust the focus between low and high beams. It works well with no "moment of darkness" when switching from low to high or back.

I'd also suggest 4300K. I have 6000K and while it is white, without being blue, it does cause some glare and washes out some colour. 4300K is much closer to sunlight, will offer better colour rendering, and won't cause as much glare. And it is much less likely to get the attention of the local constabulary... ;)

Not sure if anyone still visits this post, but

16VGTIDave, i've seen you post about your HID a few time now. My bike's a '77 360 SOHC, so i believe our compatible products are different, but was your HID just plug and go? or did it require a bunch of electrical work (not a fan of that).

and would you happen to have any suggestions for me? i can't ride at night right now becuase my cell phone produces more light than my headlight.

The kit I bought was as "plug-and-play" as any kit could be. Power and ground to battery, and a plug into stock headlight plug. The only "tough" task was finding suitable mounting locations for the 3 modules. That took a couple beers and looking over the bike for suitable locations. It may have taken less time without the beers, but... :)

Since my previous post I have changed to a 4300K Bi-xenon bulb with a built in glare shield. Much nicer light and a substantial improvement to the light pattern. Some of the better ballasts now have the ignitor module incorporated into them as compared to the earlier ones. That reduces the number of modules to 2, which simplifies installation.

interesting, i guess my understanding of the layout was wrong. i thought it was the bulb and the ballast. (thought all i'd have to mount is the ballast). I've read through all the posts on here about HID conversions etc., but i still can't figure out which set up is compatible with my bike. The sites with the "guaranteed" lights (US, not Chinese/Ebay) have way too many options.

if my light right now (stock light) is super dim in both Hi and Lo, would an HID conversion even help? i plan to change all my other lights to LED to help brighten the headlight. i also wanted to get a new bucket (smaller, closer to 6"). can you explain to me how you chose yours and what resources you used to confirm the compatibility?

i have a small battery since my bike's a kick only.

You will need a headlamp that accepts a replaceable bulb, typically H4. I'd strongly suggest a headlamp that has a glass lens and metal reflector. The plastic ones may be lighter, but the chrome plating on the plastic reflector isn't that good. I'd also recommend getting a motorcycle specific headlamp as the beam pattern is different than an automotive headlamp. The headlamp may, or may not, have an internal shield. If it does, then you don't need the HID bulb to have one. But you must have a shield, otherwise the glare will be blinding for other motorists. Be aware that the smaller the headlamp is, the less control of the light pattern - unless you opt for an expensive projector lamp.

With Bi-xenon HID kits, there is a bulb, a ballast, possibly an ignitor module, and a control box for low/high switching. The ignitor module is attached in-line with the high voltage wires to the bulb if it isn't part of the ballast. A 35W HID kit is all you need, and will be many times brighter than what you have. The 55W kits are not much brighter, but bulb life is noticeably shorter. And again, get a 4300K HID bulb. It is the brightest and nicest color, close to sun light. I do NOT recommend using a kit that has a halogen bulb for high beam, or lacks high beam. An AC ballast is better than a DC
ballast. This kit is similar to what I have, and is easier to install as it uses the stock headlight connector for power rather than having separate power wires to the battery.

The wiring is rather easy, all the better kits I've seen had a harness with all the connectors installed and ready to hook up:
- 1 plug (3 wires) from control box to stock headlight bulb connector to turn on and switch from low to high beam.
- 1 plug (2 wires) from control box to HID bulb to switch from low to high beam.
- 1 plug (2 wires) from control box to ballast.
- 2 high voltage wires from ballast to bulb (may have ignitor module in-line).

Hope that helps!

oh man,

you rock dude. an explanation all together in one post. thanks, im pretty sure a lot of people needed that post. I'm going to get to work on this headlight now.

So now that i got this far, the next step is to put it in to something. I have not made the next step yet. I have bought the Bikemaster Halo headlight, which is compatible, but I don't know how to get it to fit in existing headlight bucket. Looks like I will have to move the turn signals, an drill new holes for them. and then maybe I can use the existing bracket. or something like that. Then I think I need to find a water tight plastic box to put the wires in, cause they won't fit into the new headlight bucket.

It seems some people have had issues with breaking the seal, on the seal beam headlights. Some have been able to do though.
http://bikemaster.com/chrome_angel.html Bikemaster chrome angel halo type. It seems you have to get a projector from somewhere.

Has anyone else gone this route?

did you get one of those angel eye bulbs? im curious why people get that over just the normal HID bulb.

when i googled that headlight, it looked like it came with a bucket already together. are you reassembling it?

Its got a small hole under it, it seems its has 2 designs. One for side to side screw mounting, or a adj single post from the bottom. I selected it, cause the Bi-Xenon light will fit it. then it has a always on, ring that is for no other reason for looks. The Bi-Xenon, alone will be bright enough.

I was hoping not to use the old headlight. There is a thread, where someone smashed up the glass. There is another thread where another was able to get a "projector 162mm" which I think fits our model just perfectly, ( I am guessing, 162 or 163mm, search before you commit to one or the other)

Then if you start to look at others bikes, they have more/or less different bulbs, and after my last trip to the Motorcycle grave yard, It should be too hard to come up with one of three mounting options. that solves the turn signals/ new light case/projector. I haven't come up with my solution yet.

Perhaps I can use the existing mounts, drill a set of holes for the turn signals, and use washers to re-inforce the hole that use to hold the turn signals. this seems cheap and easy to do.

Ooo, Sale price 219 USD, to 160 USD.
http://www.futurevisionhid.com/h4-bi-xenon-motorcycle-hid-kit.html
Options 4300, standard relay or 10 second delay relay, 35 watt kit, or 50 watt kit (canbus ?? idk +30 USD) +5 USD s/h, and still with out the projector

This is what it would look like if I was to think about buying it. seems to be some extra stuff. Might be worth wile to chat with someone prior to purchase. (i doubt I would need to ballast) Sale price was good for today (10/18/2014) have no idea for how long after today.

(Not ordering it, still too pricey) (but considering...)

Attachments

• sale.png
    sale.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 147
I know nothing about this company or their products, I just found the 7" round headlight with projector that is suitable for use with HID using my favorite search engine. Their prices seem high, but maybe they only carry top quality?

Canbus is a type of computer controlled wiring system used on many modern vehicles (cars, motorcycles, trucks). We don't have that hassle. ;) You will need a ballast for each HID bulb installed. The kits include them.

Ok based on your guys' posts i understand what i need to do, etc. but because i haven't done this before, i don't know what things look like, nor what to look for.

i know for an HID conversion i should have a projector type housing? but if i get a housing like that how do i know if its a reflector or projector? I'm going to toss my stock assembly because it's all scratched.

if i got this (http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...-1-4-inch-h4-headlight-assembly-66-64312.html) and an HID kit, would it work? i don't see the housing specifying projector or reflector.

is that why people buy the angel eye bulb?

does the HID bulb go inside the projector lens?

Last edited:
is that why people buy the angel eye bulb?

its only for the looks, There are Cat eyes, and some other looks that are available for the $$.
For function the Bi-Xenon/HID or anything that makes it more comfortable for you to drive at night. Some of us have to contend with deer, (now that November is around the corner), so some of us may be more prone for more lights, to get a chance to see the deer, before you get too close to one. Other of us, have dumb@ss drivers that don't get the rule to share the road with us!

Thanks for replying again arfstrom.

i guess my confusion was between the angel eye and projector lens in general. but i did a little research and cleared that up.

but curious for those of you that have done a fully headlight conversion/replacement. did you guys keep your headlight bracket "ears"? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/77-YAMAHA-X...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2f7bd1c7&vxp=mtr) or did you guys just replace it all with the typical brackets you see on aftermarket sites? It always seemed so messy with the "ears"

Back