XS360/XS400 Headlight Replacement Options/Alternatives

got20z

1977 XS360
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a 1977 XS360. It has the original Stanley 001-1711 sealed beam headlight. It is cracked and needs replaced. I have my doubts of the quality of light the original provides so was wondering if any of you have been in the same situation and if so what did you do? Used replacements are going from $30-$60 so I wanted to ask around. Are there other XS model bikes that use the same light or one that will fit with a different part #? I have a spare XS750 headlight and it is not the same.

With something aftermarket I don't really want the hassle of quality and fitment but would go that route if somebody has a suggestion for something good.

Thanks in advance.

77-79 sohc xs400 uses the same bulb. Some pull out the inner bulb and use an automotive type bulb to replace it. There are threads on this in the forum.

I have the original light on my 360. I suppose it could be brighter but it does its job. Only problem is when someone drives by me on a dark road like where I live and their car has HID lights.. You dont need to see tree tops with your headlight. My commute to work is on an unlighted 2 lane highway at 11pm. I can see fine and I travel around 60mph.

If you want the best lighting, youll have to go LED or something.

I opted to keep the lighting on my bike pretty much how it came originally. Just plain and simple bulbs

Been thinking about going to a 7" LED.
Not sure about the bigger housing though.

Back