one of exhaust pipe smokes more

Zola

pole
Reaction score
Hi XS enthusiasts,
I just noticed that one of exhaust pipe smokes more in my XS400dohc. There is not visible smoke from second one. What could be reason of that? I bought XS at the end of last year. I drove 11km on the bike only and have not experience. It should be the same effect from both mufflers I gess.

Ride a few hundred km.
After setting a few years the rings can get a bit sticky, they will free up after running the bike. The smoking may stop.
Leo

:agree: The seals might have shrunk from sitting. If you are not fouling plugs or using a lot of oil just ride it.

:agree: The seals might have shrunk from sitting. If you are not fouling plugs or using a lot of oil just ride it.

Thank you friends for reply my question. My bike has 55k km on counter. Last owner drove 600km for 1,5 year. I'm going to drive few times more than last one. I can't wait for spring to drive on my XS. According to some sugestions after few hundreds of kilometers all questions will solve by itself. Sorry for my English.

It's not normal, but there could be water or oil or extra fuel in the engine that will be burned off after it has been run for a while. With 11km, you didn't even get the engine all the way warm. When a bike sits even for a few week, stuff can gather that needs to be burned off.

It's not normal, but there could be water or oil or extra fuel in the engine that will be burned off after it has been run for a while. With 11km, you didn't even get the engine all the way warm. When a bike sits even for a few week, stuff can gather that needs to be burned off.

Thank you HoughMade. It really could be the reason of that. It's still winter in Europe and I can't wait for spring to drive. I plan many trips with my friends. It's my first bike after 30 years gap. I will learn more during the year I thing:)

There's something wrong with your engines. If you have smoke coming out your tailpipe, it might help point you towards what is broken with your motor. The three most common colors of smoke that can be emitted from the engine are white, black and blue smoke. I read this here: Diagnosing a problem through your exhaust pipe.

ClintonE, Welcome to the board.
If the bike has sat for a few years, the rings and pistons can get a thin film of rust on the side that had one of the valves open, Not so much on the side where both valves were closed.
This rust can make the rings sticky. This means they are sticking in the grooves in the pistons they ride in.
It can take a few miles to clean up this rust. Then a few more miles to get the rings to reseat. If his compression on that side is ok then running it a few hundred miles won't hurt anything.
I doubt there is anything more wrong than that. If there was more wrong it wouldn't run well and probably make some unusual noises.
I read your smoking guide and as I thought that is more for a vehicle that you have been running for awhile and it has recently started smoking. Not a bad guide for what it is.
Zola, ride it easy for at least 50 miles.Watch the smoking. It may lessen or even stop. Once you hit 50 miles change the oil. Look at the oil closely for anything.
If the smoking has improved some by then just keep riding it. It may lessen and even stop.
Leo

ClintonE, Welcome to the board.
If the bike has sat for a few years, the rings and pistons can get a thin film of rust on the side that had one of the valves open, Not so much on the side where both valves were closed.
This rust can make the rings sticky. This means they are sticking in the grooves in the pistons they ride in.
It can take a few miles to clean up this rust. Then a few more miles to get the rings to reseat. If his compression on that side is ok then running it a few hundred miles won't hurt anything.
I doubt there is anything more wrong than that. If there was more wrong it wouldn't run well and probably make some unusual noises.
I read your smoking guide and as I thought that is more for a vehicle that you have been running for awhile and it has recently started smoking. Not a bad guide for what it is.
Zola, ride it easy for at least 50 miles.Watch the smoking. It may lessen or even stop. Once you hit 50 miles change the oil. Look at the oil closely for anything.
If the smoking has improved some by then just keep riding it. It may lessen and even stop.
Leo

Thank you Leo. Your suggestions seem to be reasonable. I rode once from last "white smoke" from left pipe. It's still winter in Poland although without snow. It's about 2-5 Celsius degrees and too cold for me. I forgot to look at pipe when I started to ride. After 5km I became rigid from cold. Next week should be hotter and I'm going to ride longer distance and take a notice on engine and pipes. I have not experience with ride a bike but I think my bike is working well. Engine is a little bit noisy but one of XS enthusists told me that it's old model and has to be more noisy that the new ones are. During last ride I noticed noise (kind of rattle) from counter. I lubricated speedometer gear housing and will check it during the next ride. I just saw the weather forecast. It will 16 C next weekend ...
Zola

Back