Online purchase conflict, what would you do

Edward

1978 XS400E
Reaction score
I purchased a set of carbs from a member here at the end of May, when I got them, they looked nothing like the ones listed in the pictures. In the post, they were listed as "good condition ready to mount"

The carbs I received were much rustier, the fuel inlet nipple was rusty and broken off. One of the float valves wasn't installed, and didn't seem to be working. I think there's suppose to be float bowl gaskets between the bowls and bodies. The package came in parts, hardly ready to be mounted.

With paypal, I have 45 days to claim something, which is coming up shortly.

Initially after receiving the package, I had been in contact with the seller for a resolution and they were apologetic, saying that they have other people ship for them and not always the right stuff gets out. I've since sent more pictures to the seller and they have not replied to me for about 3 weeks (and a couple more PMs).

According to their profile, they last logged on 5 days ago and last post was 6/28 (well after I had sent subsequent PMs).

Would you just open a Paypal ticket? I've offered to mail back the carbs for a refund (eating my return shipping cost), but they haven't said anything since. It's not a ton of money, a little under $100, but still. I've since already purchased carbs from another member here, so I'd like to recover whatever costs i can.

thanks for any thoughts!

Ed

I'd be demanding a refund via PayPal and also post feedback in the appropriate section here.

If you wanted apologies, you would have talked to a politician...

If he won't take them back for a refund or work it out with you than go through paypal. There is a feedback section also on here to worn people of what this member has done. Ebay is nice for this because the buyer has all the protection. I sell a lot on here and always post lots of pics of what I am selling and give a complete description of what I have and what you will get. He needs to make it right. If you got something other than the pics that where shown its not your fault its the sellers.

I totaly agree with both of the above replies,use your buyer protection with paypal.Obviously this person made a mistake intentional or unintentional hes been given enough time and chances to make this right with you.Since hye hasnt replyed back in any of the attempts to contact him he is out to scam!This is why I never send checks or money orders.

If the seller hasnt already offered you a refund then go through paypal.

I once ordered a used petcock from a seller on ebay and the package arrived empty. Yes the box had bottomed out during transit and USPS put a bunch of stamps stating it was empty when it arrived in their hands but they still delivered an empty box to me which I find odd. I contacted the seller immediately and sent him pictures of the box and all the stamps. He immediately offered to refund me the entire purchase price plus a few extra dollars for my troubles. I didnt even ask him to do that. In fact I ask him if he happened to have another petcock and I would just take that. He said sorry he didnt and sent me the refund right away with a huge apology letter. Never once have I ever met a seller on ebay that honest. I immediately gave him a high rating on his seller page. He already had a good rating and I could see why. Best customer service I've ever had from an ebay seller.

Thanks for the replies guys, I don't feel so bad opening a paypal ticket now. I PM'd him again yesterday, I'll probably wait until this afternoon to start the paypal process.

Back