Only right side blinkers working?

Cachecruzer

XS400 Member
Reaction score
This just started last night. My blinkers are only working on my right side. Could this be caused by anything other then a bad turn signal switch?

It could also be the bulbs in the blinker lights, or the wire coming off the switch to the left side. However, like you, I suspect the most likely source of the problem is the switch. After 30 years the switch collects a lot of gunk and may just need to be pulled apart and cleaned.

Had a similar problem with my 82. The right turn signal would only come on if I played around with the switch. Dismantled the switch itself which was very straightforward, cleaned out about half a beach worth of sand, and it has worked fine ever since.

In most cases we just don't know where thses bikes have been or what they have been dumped into.

Whatcha know! I get a few replies this morning.I go out to check the bike before a sunny trip that's all right turns. I check for sh/ts and grins and it's working again. :bike: riding with no worries now today. Thanks for the advice though, by some chance it happens again and stays like that. I'll be cleaning it's innards.

Back